Chapter 31

MEL POV
"Yeah. I'm here."

"Mel! How's it going?" He said suddenly enthusiastically. I could not carry on the normal conversation with him. I just couldn't. His change in attitude made me even more upset. He was acting so normal and it killed me inside.

"Did you cheat on me?" I spit it out in anger, while the tears threatened to spill out. It sounded strong, which I was grateful for. I grabbed Chlyer's hand, in fear of what was to come.

"What are you talking about?" He asked completely thrown.

"You know what I'm talking about." I said unable to say anything more.

"No, Mel. I don't." I could hear it in his voice that he had no idea. I started to ease up, but still remained grounded.

"Look up your name." I told and waiting until he did so. It was silent when he did see it. I could tell he was looking at it, deciding what to say next. "You want to lie to me now?"

"Mel, it's not what it looks like. It's...." he drifted off and I became more upset.

I knew what I wanted him to say. I wanted him to say these reports were all liars and that he was faithful and that he loved me. But he said nothing of the sort. My tears ran dry as my fumed in anger.

"It looks like you're cheating to me, so what is it, Chris?" I yell at Chris through the phone. I was no longer relaxed, and I stood in frustration.

"Mel" he started off, "you have to trust." You could hear the desperation in his voice. I should trust him, he was my husband, but I did not. Not one bit. This irritated me more.

"Trust you?! How the hell am I supposed to do that when the whole world is claiming you are cheating!" I said with rage, clenching my free hand. I felt the blood in my palms from the tips of my nails that dug deep.

"Mel," his voice breaking, "I promised you that I would never stop thinking about you and I haven't." His words didn't comfort me. The left like bullets hitting my heart.

"Chris you cheated on me! How have you thought about me at all when you have been with another woman." He grunted obviously angry and frustrated, as I was, but he had no reason to be.

"Melissa, you have to trust me." He urged me again.

"I trusted you. I trusted you when you left and when you told me that you would call me every day. Did that happen? No, but I let it slide because you had work, and I believed in you. You were working hard. But now I know what you were doing." My voice cracked as a sob escaped during the last sentence.

"No Mel. It's not- Listen please-" I cut him off in anger.

"No, Chris. It's in our vows. It's in our damn vows! You wouldn't leave my side! You were my best friend who would always be there!" I spoke through the sobs that I stuck in my throat, "The one thing I don't understand is if you meant all that how could you cheat on me?" I spoke slowly, barely able to get the last few words out. I took deep breath as two more tears ran down my face, "How could you promise me all that and then kiss another woman."

"Mel wait please!" I cut him off again.

"Everything that we fought for, you ruined it. You ruined our marriage." Saying these words were meant to hurt Chris, but why did it feel like it hurt me more. "Chris, you have no one to blame but yourself." I say as I feel tears roll down my face.

"Melissa-" Chris was cut off by Alex hanging up the phone and holding me in her arms. I cried in her arms think of everything he said.

He never denied it and he tried making up excuses. I knew Chris all too well and I knew he was lying. And the only thing he needed to lie about was the fact that he cheated on me. Which meant he had.