Chapter 37

MEL POV

The next morning was like a movie. Chris and Oliver had somehow gotten out of bed without waking me.

So, waking me up was quiet fun for Oliver as Chris stood by my side with a planter of breakfast foods, showing his boyish smile.

I gave Oliver a kiss on the forehead and he moved to the middle of the bed to sit next to me as I sat up. I look over at Chris and let our lips collide into a passionate kiss.

"Thanks guys." I blushed looking at both of them, each grinning ear to ear. Chris steadies' the plate on my lap and then jumps on the other side of Oliver.

I look down at the nicely toasted bagel, scrambled eggs, and two awkwardly shaped pancakes. I hear someone turn on the tv. I was surprised when I heard the theme song of Bob the Builder.

We watched that for a few hours, by watching I meant Oliver was attached to the screen while Chris and I exchanged romantic glances. It was amazing being together again. It just felt so right, but also like a fairytale.

The next week was exciting all in itself. Oliver had started school and Chris had already assumed he would be a genius, which I secretly hoped for as well.

Between work and time at home, Chris and I were able to catch up and talk about the simple things in life, again. But it didn't feel overwhelming some days.

One afternoon after I got out of work early, I made my way home. Chris was at an audition, so I sat there by myself. It was peaceful, but a bit lonely. I decided to sit in the silent instead of turning on the tv.

I thought of our unborn child. I hadn't decided what I wanted the name to be, but I was hoping for a girl. Ollie was great, but I wanted to braid her hair and show her the tomboy clothes that I always had, but at the same time I would just be happy with a boy.

The morning sickness was gone, but as my stomach grew, I became more uncomfortable. It ranged from back cramps to swollen feet.

I heard the keys fiddling in the door and perked up, thoughts thrown to the side. I saw Chris come in with a gigantic smile.

Chris POV

I catch a glance of Melissa sitting on the couch and I'm beyond happy to see her. My audition wasn't great, so I was glad I could forget about that with her home.

"Hey!"  I said setting down my keys on the counter.

"Hey." She started to stand, but then fell backwards. I ran to her. Her expression showed confusion instead of pain which relieved me slightly. I murmured something, but Melissa was clearly in her own thoughts. I put my hand behind her back in efforts to help.

"Chris!" she said cutting off what I was muttering about. "The baby." She says pausing as she looks from her stomach to me, "The baby is kicking."

I placed my hand on top of her stomach. I rubbed my thumb against her hand that was also waiting. I expressed my amazement and I could Melissa giggling quietly at me. I exchanged glances with her as we waited.

"Say something." she told me, but as she said that the baby kicked. Melissa's face lightened up with amazement. I tried holding in my excitement, but then baby kicked again.

"Oh my gosh, Mel!" I said in wonderment. After my sentence the baby kicked again, and I started to get giddy with excitement.

We were both ecstatic and couldn't hide our excitement. We sat there talking and feeling for the kicks. After a half hour or so, the baby became tired and stopped kicking at our words. I moved my hand from Melissa's stomach and intertwined it in her fingers.

"So, does Oliver know?" I asked meaning about the news of the pregnancy.

"Oh, yeah, sorry I told him." She blushed sheepishly.

"How'd he react?" I asked wanting to hear all the details, and with that she started to recall the conversation they had had.

"Once he found out it was your baby, he was happy." Melissa said letting out a few chuckles.

"My baby?" I joked, "Umm wonder what he was thinking." I joined in with Melissa's laughter.

"I wonder." We couldn't be more amused by our son. He just was such our son. Once we calmed down, I turned back to Mel and she turned to meet my stare.

"So, since this is my baby," I said laughing and playing on, "When is the next appointment?" I asked. We had always gone to appointments together with Oliver and I didn't want that to change for this one.

"Our baby's next appointment is Monday." She let out her laughter at her own joke. I joined in. Melissa's laugh was irresistible. "Can you come?"

"I would never miss it." I said giving her a quick kiss before getting up and holding her hand in the air. "Our son awaits." I say like a cartoon. I enjoyed making Melissa laugh and that was exactly what I was doing now.

"It's time already?" She complained, refusing to stand. I leaned down and kissed her cheek softly.

"Yes, M'lady. The carriage is outside as requested." I said and she pulled herself up using our hands which were connected.

"Thank you, kind sir." she said giggling, trying to continue the role play.