Part 11

My eyes seem almost swollen shut as I run out of tears to spill. I take a deep breath before explaining to Tom what had happened, though I want to pretend like it never happened.

"I-I went to go to the rink since he was late." I stammer as I try to catch my breath. Tom keeps a hand on my head, brushing through my hair quietly as he listens.

"When I got there, I saw his car. I got excited because that meant he didn't stand me up, but when I got inside-" My throat chokes up and a single tear is all that manages to fall.

"He was kissing another girl, holding her in his arms, completely unaware as to our date that day. He didn't stand me up, he cheated on me." My voice gets quieter and quieter as I continue, not wanting to believe that any of this has happened.

I can feel Tom's grip on me tighten as he brings me closer. I can feel his anger radiating off of his body as I curl into his shoulder.

"Please tell me this is all just a bad dream." I plead with a cracking voice, my sobs beginning to start up again.

"He can't be like James, he can't be." I repeat to myself out loud and Tom's thumb grazes my cheek, over my little scar. He knows not to ask now, but I can see that he's trying to fit all the pieces together.

"He didn't deserve you anyway." He says softly as he leans down carefully, resting a soft kiss on top of my head.

He moves with more ease now that the pain killers are working more effectively and his body is healing fairly quickly. He wraps his arms around me as he begins to put on my favorite movie, a desperate attempt to cheer me up.

"Just think, in two days I'll be out of here and you can show me around just like you wanted to." His own voice is filled with a bit more hope and excitement at the thought of our future adventures.

I am able to muster a small smile as I finally look up from his sleeve. He looks down at me with a caring face as we simply stare into each other's eyes. After a few seconds I open my mouth to speak, my voice sounding congested from tears.

"Thank you." I say simply and Tom just pulls me close to him as he faces towards the tv. The feeling of his arms wrapping around me is the most comforting feeling that I can possibly imagine.

His fingers move with ease to entangle themselves with mine, though careful of his heart monitor clip.

As I rest my head on his shoulder, I try to keep my eyes from closing or else the image of Philip's soothing smile would flash in my mind.

I keep imagining yesterday and how our lips were only an inch apart before we were interrupted and then today they were pressed against someone else.

Why did he lead me on like that? What was the point? What was so special about hurting me in a way that has been done too many times to count? What did I do wrong?
~ ~ ~
Tom is the best human ever, change my mind, I dare you.

Thank you guys so much for reading!

Please vote and comment to keep me updating regularly <3
~Aoife