17. The Tease

When the next couple weeks had passed, Barbara and Jess had made their way to California so that they could be with their daughter who was going through the worst pregnancy ever.

The day Lindsey had called to let them know of what Stevie was going through, it was her mom who had said when they would be down and when. She knew that her daughter wouldn't have been delivering till after her seventh month especially with the Braxton Hicks so even though Stevie wanted them right when she asked, they still came later.

On the day of the their arrival, Kristen was out with the kids and Lindsey was with his wife as he had been for the last months. Though, the governess knew she was to return earlier than she normally would have with the Nicks' return.

"Why did you have to come later---I could've had the baby and you weren't here," Stevie whined, holding her hands out for her mother.

"Oh, Stevie... You can be such a drama queen," Barbara chuckled, kissing her daughter's hands as she sat on the edge of the bed. "You didn't have the baby yet and we're here now," she pressed her hand to her belly gently.

"Are you staying for as long as you can?" Stevie then asked, just wanting her parents there with her because she was going through a lot.

"Yes, we cleared our calendar for the next few months and we have no important engagements... Daddy's taken his vacation and we'll be here," she nodded.

"That's great," she sighed with relief. "It's just been so tiring and life is like on repeat as each day goes by. I'm here and it's only Lindsey and I..." she shook her head. "He needs a break from me, mom."

"I believe that---you are very high maintenance, my girl," she chuckled a little. "But I'll make sure he goes out and does stuff. Daddy told me he would and then Lori, Sharon and your brother will be here to keep you company while I make dinner for the babies. What time do they come home?"

"Normally about five, but we told Kristen to bring them earlier for the time being since you guys will be here and you would like to spend time with them, I assume."

"Of course, dear... So Will is being homeschooled and Leelee?" she then asked, unsure of herself.

"Leelee is going to start getting lessons by this coming summer. She's really baby-ish still, so we waited but Kristen knows her very well, so if she's not ready, she's not," Stevie shrugged.

She knew that all kids were at different levels so it didn't bother her at all if her children needed extra help or had no business being in school quite yet.

"Yeah, people are very in love with labels, TeeDee..." Barbara added.

"For sure," she agreed. "I feel like, beyond all of the secrets---this saves them from that as well. People just want to know what is happening in our lives just to label," she used her mother's word of choosing. "It's awful and... that is the only good-ish thing I find with all the secrets. They don't have to be labeled."

Barbara just nodded, sure of what her daughter was saying. "That's good that you are seeing some of the brighter side of things, my love... I know things have been very tough."

Nodding, "I'm just ready for this baby to be out of my body so that the next year can just be started... I want to have my infant in my arms and that's it, you know?" she asked as if her mother wasn't fully aware.

"Of course, I do..." Barbara laughed. "When I was pregnant with you and your brother, I didn't have it this hard, but I understand. By the end, you just want it over," she assured, rubbing her daughter's bare leg.

Stevie was wearing fuzzy socks, a white flowy nighty and her hair was in their natural curls as she sat Indian style on her side of the bed.

"I would really love to go downstairs today," the blonde assured. "I feel cooped up."