46. Positive

Sitting in the hotel bathroom, on the floor---Stevie was wrapped in a towel and she pondered lightly.

She had been on tour for a month or so and she spent a lot of her time alone this time around. She went out with the girls, but she wanted to be alone more than anything. But being alone and letting her mind wander the subjects of her life, she was left to too much thinking.

"Fuck!" she mumbled harshly to herself. She hopped up, moving through the room and picked up the phone as soon as she plopped on the edge of the bed.

"Hello?" Lori answered.

"Can you come over? I think I have a problem..."

"What kind?"

"I'm not too sure yet, just come over," she hung up. Flying up, she ran to the bathroom and she examined herself in the mirror, before dropping her towel to hop in the tub for a bath.

Within a few minutes, Lori let herself in and she scanned the room. "Stevie?" she called, just marking her presence.

"In here!" she replied back.

The red head made her way in and she peeked. "Hey," she said softly. Coming in, she shut the door and sat on the toilet seat. "What's going on?"

Staring into the bubbles, "I might be pregnant..." she nearly mumbled.

"What happened to Stella being the last one?" her sister smirked.

"No, don't joke---this is not funny," she brought a hand to her head. "Oh, my God... Lindsey's gonna kill me."

"Hey, it takes two---it's not all your fault."

"Yeah, but we've not done it in like forever and I have been off my birth control and I forgot---he didn't know."

"I thought you started it before you left for the Tango tour?"

"I was, but then Lindsey and me were fighting when we got home and I haven't refilled my prescription. I've just had other things on my mind and Lindsey and me have still been in our 'dating stage'," she air quoted with her fingers. "We finally did our thing before I was to leave and..." she trailed, throwing her head back into the rolled towel behind her head.

"Well, what are you gonna do?" she had to ask, because Stevie looked terrified.

"I have to tell him," she shrugged, finding that the obvious suggestion. "I'll call him, but... I just don't know how. I'm about to be forty-fucking-one," she groaned at the thought. "If I thought it was hard to have Stella, what is this baby going to bring me? Death," she huffed.

"Well, Stevie---do you know for sure?" she asked, raising a brow because she was jumping straight into it.

"I didn't take a test, no, but I am almost positive---I can tell," she looked at her sternly. "I can tell," she repeated softer.

"Do you wanna call the doctor or do you want me to get the cheap, bullshit tests?"

Letting her head fall back once more, she sighed a little only because all of the sudden, she was taken back in time to 1977 when she had to explain she was pregnant with Will to her husband. It was the same fear eating at her.

...

Hours later, Stevie found herself in her hotel for the night after her show and she stayed secluded from everything and everybody, trying to work out what she wanted to say in her head.

"Don't be a coward, Stevie," she mumbled to herself, picking up the phone. She dialed her husband's house number and bobbed her knee up and down out of anxiety.