21. Over Thinking

Walking through the door, Stevie's mom came in and she smiled at her new granddaughter who was in her mother's arms.

"Hi," Stevie smiled, letting her fingers comb through the baby's dark hair.

"It's so good to see you, honey---I felt like I would never get here," she assured as she took a seat on the edge of the bed to swipe her granddaughter's head.

"Believe me, even though I was here, I missed a whole lot, too---" the blonde assured, her headspace returning to her. "But Lindsey says, she was perfect," she grinned at her husband since he was taking a nap as he sat there.

"Dr. Phillips told me a lot happened between last night and this morning," she added. "Kristen told us you had two surgeries---how are you feeling?" she had to ask.

"Well, when the rest of the anesthesia wears off, I'll be in a lot of pain, I know for one..." she sighed a little. "This is the first time I've gotten to even enjoy her. I was out of it when we did skin-to-skin and then I had a fever and allergic reaction to the spinal anesthesia and then..." she shook her head. "Lindsey and the doctor have the whole story, I do not," she added.

"That's alright, dear---" she rubbed her leg. "She's very beautiful, Stevie."

"Thank you, mom..." she smiled a little. "Is anybody else here?" she then asked.

"Your daddy and Lori went to grab coffee, Chris is waiting in the lobby for Sharon, but everybody is on their way here or up. Everybody's been a little on edge about you and this little one."

"Yeah... I gave a pretty good scare," she assured, knowing that she almost died only a few hours after the cesarean. "Very hard pregnancy... But I guess it all turned out fine," she recounted.

"I told you," her mother nodded.

"And if I would have died?" she looked up, saying so softly.

"Stevie..." she shook her head.

"Well, it was just a thought... I've been thinking that since I've been able to function," she explained. "It would have been for the best---everything does happen for a reason."

"When we talked that night, that's not what I was saying," her mother added---swiping her hair. "Why do you over think what I say?" she asked.

"I don't try to over think everything, but I do," she shrugged. "I'm not worried about it anyway..." she shook her head. "My baby is okay and so am I... Our secret is safe and in a few days I can come home."

"How long do you have to stay, my love?" her mother shifted topics.

"Well, usually for a C-section it's about three to four days... For me probably a week, if not longer. They had to stop a cervical hemorrhage and that was a whole other surgery."

"Oh, my goodness," she tisked, feeling awful about it since she wasn't there for her. "I'm sorry, honey---" she added.

She kind of shrugged, not sure how to respond to somebody being sorry for her and at the very moment, she was just happy to have the baby in her arms. "I'm just happy she made it out---that was my worst fear," she explained as she gazed down at the girl.

Lori then opened the door, cooing from the door way as she put coffee on the counter and Jess followed behind her. "Oh, my gosh! She's so tiny," she whispered, ready to hover her sister's shoulder.

Stevie giggled and then looked over at Lindsey who was starting to wake up from the people flowing in.

"How much did she weigh?" Lori then asked.