LXIV) Cat's Out

"Can you ever comprehend how much I hate that?" Rayne snapped, whirling her head around to scowl at Prompto. He froze, halfway through slurping a spoonful of soup.

"... Sorry," he murmured, ducking his head. "It's hot!"

"Then blow on it. Or wait." Rayne slouched in her seat, pushing the liquid around in her bowl. Gladio frowned, glancing up at Rue, who shrugged. "Don't think I can't tell you're having a silent conversation."

"Sorry," Rue huffed.

"No, you're not," Rayne sighed. Noctis rolled his eyes at Ignis before clearing his throat.

"What crawled up your #$%?"

"A whole glaive of useless #$%^&*%$," Rayne scoffed.

"Gee, thanks," Rue muttered.

"Don't do that," Rayne snapped, sitting up. "They're just nowhere near as good as the glaive before the Fall. I don't know what to do."

"Work with you have," Ignis replied simply. "It's all under different circumstances."

"Iggy, I don't even think they realize the gravity of the job."

"It's a difficult concept for those on the outside."

"True," Rue pitched in, pointing her spoon at Rayne, who only sighed again. Gladio rested his hand on her back.

"At least you can beat the #$%^ out of them if they mess up."

"Yeah, there's that."

"The weirdest #$%^ cheers you up," Rue grumbled, shaking her head. She glanced across the table at Ignis, who made a point of sitting at the opposite end. Before she could mouth anything, she realized Prompto was staring at her. She frowned, raising an eyebrow. Catching himself, he blushed and turned away, going back to his slurping. Rayne groaned, tugging her hair.

"Prompto."

"Sorry!"

Gathering the bowls in her hands, Rue carried the dirty dishes to her kitchen, where Ignis was scrubbing away at pans with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows. Rayne chose Rue's house as their weekly dinner hub, determined to see the new décor. As a result, Rue decided to make a point of telling Ignis where everything was very clearly—he didn't know her house all that well. Not well at all. He'd only cooked and showered and slept and cleaned and done his laundry there. Rue shook her head, setting the bowls on the counter. Ignis glanced up at her.

"Thank you."

"For giving you more work to do?"

"Well, you can dry."

"I can," she shrugged, leaning back against the counter and staring back at Rayne, who was slumped at the counter watching them tiredly. Ignis sighed, pausing to face her.

"Would you?"

"I guess," she scoffed, though she smiled and reached around him to grab a rag. "Still pouting?" Rue called over her shoulder. Rayne groaned in response.

"No. I'll just so tired."

"Why?"

"I don't know. Must be overworking."

"Wouldn't be surprised." Rue flinched when Ignis handed her a hot plate, staring at the water in disbelief. "Is your skin okay?"

"I'm fine," Ignis muttered. "But thank you for your concern."

"Weird question," Rayne cut in. Rue scrubbed at the plate carefully, ignoring the angry marks raising on her skin.

"Weird answer."