▪︎𝚂𝚒𝚖𝚘𝚗 𝙼𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚛▪︎

The One Who Got Away- Simon Minter

Y/N and Simon had dated back in secondary school. You had met him and JJ back on year 7 when you were taller then them. You were their best friend, even when Simon and Y/N started dating, they were still close. As they got older, we would drive around in Y/N's jeep and simply watch the sunset whilst listening to ThrowBack songs, blankets wrapped around us keeping us warm from the cold air. For Y/N's 18 birthday, Simon got you a tattoo, it was simply a heart on your collarbone with an SM next to it. He got a matching one but he had your initials.

Summer after high school, when we first met
We make-out in your Mustang to Radiohead
And on my eighteenth birthday, we got matching tattoos

We would have midnight drives around town laughing as we screamed our lungs off. We would steal all of our parents liquor and sit in my room together laughing at our happier days. Me and Simon would cuddle up upon my fluffy bed with my head on his chest as we talked about our future, he was going to become famous and start a family with me whilst I was going to become a worldwide singer and have his children after we had married in Autumn, a fall wedding. We had it all planned out.

Used to steal your parents liquor and climb to the roof
Talk about our future like we had a clue
Never planned that one day I'd be losing you

Maybe in a parrell universe, we would still be together living our dreams, you would still be with him holding you in his loving embrace. In a different world, maybe you wouldn't have hooked up and you found him gone in the morning. He would have kept his promise about staying forever. Unfortunately, he got to live his dream,he was a successful YouTuber who was in a very popular group called the Sidemen. Whilst you had to give up your dreams when your bundle of joy entered your life. Instead you worked day and night trying to earn money to raise your child right.

In another life, I would be your girl
We keep all our promises, be us against the world
In another life, I would make you stay
So I don't have to say you were the one that got away
The one that got away

It had been a couple of years since you had even seen Simon face to face, years since you even talked to JJ. You thought you were the love of his life because he was your everything.

I was June and you were my Johnny Cash
Never one without the other, we made a pact
Sometimes when I miss you, I put those records on, whoa

Now she sat on her bed with little Tommy watching his father's smiling face on a screen. Tommy's blond fluffy hair creating an angelic glow upon him, the video casting in his ocean blue eyes. "Mommy? Are you okay?" He asked placing his small little hands upon your face but you only kissed his cheek. "I'm fine Baby." You said patting his head and he went back to his videos on his father. Your eyes glided across Simon's face on the screen, soon following the familiar pattern of where you kissed him that night. Except the small heart tattoo with your initials where no longer there, it was faded and barely noticeable. He had tried to remove it. You look at your own body, still there etched on your skin of your collarbone was his name and the heart.

Someone said you had your tattoo removed
Saw you downtown, singing the blues
It's time to face the music, I'm no longer your muse

In another life, I would be your girl
We keep all our promises, be us against the world
In another life, I would make you stay
So I don't have to say you were the one that got away
The one that got away

The one, the one, the one
The one that got away

To be honest she didn't know what to do, she had a now developing life, her career was flying, she had the most gorgeous child in the world, she could actually afford anything she wanted for herself or for Tommy.

All this money can't buy me a time machine, no
Can't replace you with a million rings, no
I should'a told you what you meant to me, whoa
Cause now I pay the price

In another life, I would be your girl
We keep all our promises, be us against the world
In another life, I would make you stay
So I don't have to say you were the one that got away
The one that got away

But there was a problem, you had a very dangerous cancer and you knew you weren't going to live for very long. So you started writing a letter, a letter to Simon, a letter to JJ and lost importantly a letter to Tommy. She wrote the truth in every one, once the cursive lettering was neatly written on top and the letter was placed you hid it, until it was time.

Barely a month later, you lay in a hospital bed with our son to your left, the letters on the bedside table as his head was in your chest crying. He knew your time was up soon, he could tell because of the slowing of your once steady heart beat.

The one (the one)
The one (the one)
The one (the one)

In another life, I would make you stay
So I don't have to say you were the one that got away
The one that got away

Simon broke down when he found the child crying his eyes out holding the letters out for him. He picked up the child and brought him inside immediately and handed JJ his letter on the way past to the kitchen. You left him with a child you never told him about, everything he ever felt for you came rushing back.

But you were THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY.