Inherent Law

- Auggie's POV -

The drive back to Grace's apartment was thick with tension...all I wanted to do was comfort my mate, and yet I knew I was one of the causes of her distress.

When we pulled up to her apartments I killed the engine and we sat in silence a moment longer.

"I should take off." I offered, figuring she'd want to be alone to really absorb everything and think things through undisturbed.

She looked at me, her beautiful eyes filled with sadness and worry, "What...you'd just leave me?"

My wolf whined and my heart broke...to see Grace as anything but Happy really did tear me up inside.

"Well I don't want to ever leave you Gracie...but there's a lot of info you should probably sort through."

"B-but...I was kind of hoping you'd stay with me." She admitted, "I really need you right now."

That was all I needed to hear, "Then I'll stay with you until you grow sick of me."

She smiled a small sad smile, and I sighed, "Should we go in?" I suggested. She nodded and I got out of the car and watched as she slowly made her way out too.

When we got in she took a seat on the sofa and I locked up behind us before joining her.

"What's going on Gracie?"

She sighed, "You know, as far back as I can remember I was trained to become a Luna, I learned all the protocols, memorized the histories and customs, I was elegant, and poised, I was the perfect pack member as I was asked to lead by example."

I nodded, although it was a common thing for Alpha's daughters to be all these things...this wasn't the Grace I'd known.

The Grace I know isn't stiff and boring, weighed down by responsibilities...she's wild and free and her own independent person.

"But all of that was taken away from me when somebody read the small print on the Inherent laws...something my Father seems to have all but forgotten."

"What're you talking about?" I asked.

She gave me a look that silently asked, 'are you serious?'

"Sorry...My parents are marked mates and had 4 sons, obviously the pack goes to the next oldest...so we've never really had to look at the new laws."

She nodded, "Well basically the offspring of the Alpha and Luna will automatically be the next in line to inherit their familial pack titles...for example, my sister Hope and I...yes I am older than her...but as you know I am not Luna Wylde's real daughter...-"

"You are...just not biologically." I tried to amend, "Anyone can see how much your mother loves you Gracie."

She took my hand and smiled, and this time it was a more genuine smile, "I know, and I'm beyond thankful for my mom...but the sad reality is she didn't give birth to me, however she did give birth to Hope...and as my Mom is my Dad's marked Luna any children they have together will be held in a higher regard to those they may have each had out of wedlock...which comes back to me..."

I nodded and she continued.

"Now had my Mom and Dad never had any kids together then yeah, I'd of become the next Luna...but as it stands they did, so I can't ever be the rightful Inherent of the pack's Luna title."

"B-But your birth Mother...-"

"She isn't my Mother!" she growled.

"My apologies Gracie...Heather isn't the Luna yet so couldn't there be some loop hole in that?"