A Taste of Sunshine

The messages on my phone sat the entire day. 

They plagued me like tattoos I couldn't get rid of.

Whenever my brain switched to them, or my eyes caught the flashing green light on my phone, I forced my head to move to the strange boy who fell into my arms.

He had a round face with questioning brown eyes. The only blemish on his skin was a small pimple at the right side of his nose. His dark hair was cut with heavy bangs then down at the back.

He smelled like fire—a kind of temptation I never felt for anyone before. It was almost as if everything about him had been tattooed to my brain in the brief moment I had been in his presence.

But I couldn't allow him to keep me from my duties. My father would never be happy with me ignoring his messages. While Dae ate, I set my spoon and fork beside my plate and brought up the first message.

Will you be coming home for summer break? I have a job lined up for you.

The break was seven months away. I'd already decided not to go home. But my father never asked questions even when he asked questions. He asked to give people the sense as though they had a choice.

I knew better.

Did you receive my last message? Give me an answer.

The pulsing behind my eye began again. I closed both of them, held my breath and hung my head. Each message from my father left me feeling as if my head would explode.

When I had myself together again, I checked the third and final message.

I know you've seen my messages. Why are you not responding?

One of the reasons I had my cellphone changed the moment I arrived in Vancouver was my fear my father had put something in my phone to record my calls and conversations. He was that kind of man. Though he was my father, I was warned by my grandmother not to trust him. But to go against him would be disrespect and bring dishonour on my father's home and name.

"I have to go to the toilet." I lied, rising from my seat.

Dae nodded while shoving a piece of pork into his mouth.

I wandered from the tables and into the toilets. After checking to ensure I was alone, I called my father, not caring to check the time difference. He picked up on the first ring.

"What took you so long?" He demanded in Thai. "When I send you messages you're to reply right away."

I closed my eyes to stem the migraine I knew was coming. "Yes, father." I responded.

Forget the fact I had classes all day, or that I may be busy with that. I didn't want to argue.

"Are you coming home for the summer break?"

I paused. Everything in me said to tell him no, that I wanted to take a summer semester. But doing that would push my graduation time up and I didn't wish to go home to Thailand and my father any faster than I had to.

"I will be coming home." I told him despite the fact it broke my soul.

"Good. You will have a job when you get here."

"I—"

My father hung up and I pressed the phone to my forehead, searching for a way to calm my breath and alleviate the headache. When that didn't work, I pushed the phone into my pocket and turned on the cold water. I filled my palm and dunked my face into it.

I did it three times and though it helped, it wasn't by much.

Eventually, I dried my face and went back to Dae who looked at me with concern.