Chapter Twenty Nine

Three Days after the Montague Massacre

Verona has driven in the edge of paranoia after the death of a powerful family. But they were not paranoid because of the massacre of the Montagues, it's just the mere word of terrorism that caused this entire frenzy.

The Capulets came up with a lie that it was a bunch of terrorists that attacked them on their wedding day, holding the bride as their hostage and when the groom did not cooperate, they killed the entire Montague clan.

Three days have passed since Sofia's death and all Matteo could ever think about was her. He had suddenly underwent depression and all his father and grandfather ever told him was to "man the fuck up."

Now here he was standing right across the grave of his fiance. His sweet, sweet innocent fiance whom he shared even his deepest and darkest secrets to. He regretted everything that happened. He wanted to take everything back. He wanted his beautiful Sofia back.

Matteo cries with a broken heart as he hugs her grave, giving her countless apologies and telling her all his regrets.

"Sofia. I regret everything. I love you. I am sorry!"

----------------------------------

"So how does my family come into all of this? Don't tell me my family were the ones who killed the Montagues because the news and the investigators clearly stated that a group of terrorists killed your family... leaving..." Juliet pauses as if she finally put the pieces together. "Leaving the Capulets the lucky survivors."

Romeo gives her an intense stare. Juliet shook her head as if she didn't want to accept the truth. "No. But... no. This can't be true, Dan- Romeo." She bit her tongue as she almost called him Dante.

Although, Romeo does admit that the sound of his name coming from her lips turns him on. He tries to put a serious composure once realizing that he wanted to make love with her again. "It's true." Romeo looks down on the soft, carpet floor.

Juliet didn't know how to react to all of this. She always knew that the Capulet name is a burden, but she never thought of them as murderers. "Then how did you make it out alive?"

"Just as I mentioned before: King Escalus' cousin, Mercutio, gave me another chance to live. He helped your grandfather kill my family that day and when I was the only one left alive, your brother, Matteo, demanded that I live and become some sort of beggar in the streets since I have nothing under my name. But your grandfather had other plans. He ordered Mercutio to kill me and dump my corpse elsewhere, but he couldn't do it. His conscious forbade him to kill a child so instead, he gave me to a prince at the time."

"Mercutio seems to be a nice man." Juliet smiles.

"Yes, but sadly his head along with his family was delivered right at our door a few weeks ago." He says bitterly.

"What?! Who would do such a thing?!" Juliet trembles in fear. Romeo looked at the clueless woman and waited until she realizes the possible culprit. Juliet then notices his stare and realizes what he was thinking. "You don't think it was my family, do you?"

"If your family is capable of killing mine, I wouldn't be surprised. Jose has found a lead that could prove that it was your grandfather, Alejandro. But I haven't heard from him since then." Romeo plays with his fingers again as he worries about the safety of his only friend.

"Why would my family do this? What do they have against your family?"

"I- I honestly don't know. Maybe they needed my family's wealth? Maybe they don't want any rivals? Look, Juliet. I should leave. I came here because my intentions; my feelings changed." He holds her cheeks against his palms as he looks at the woman before him with love and lust. He gives her one last passionate kiss and stands from his place. "Juliet, I am sorry for all the things I plotted against you and I am sorry for taking advantage of you. I know what I did is unforgivable but I want this... no, us to work. And if you don't want to, I will respect your wishes. If you choose to still be with me, then meet me at the church where we first met tomorrow midnight. I am willing to put everything behind me just so that we can be together. So that we can run away together and start off with a new life. You and me." He says while caressing her now dried up hair.

Juliet didn't know how to respond to everything that was placed before her. She was angry and confused all at once. She felt pity for the prince. Her heart ache and yearned for him. This whole time, he carried a dark past and he nearly tried to hurt her just to achieve his revenge. But if what he says is true that he definitely won't hurt her, can she trust him?

"Don't you want to finish your revenge?" She asks him.

Romeo was surprised. He wasn't sure how to respond. He sighs and says, "I do. But not with you getting hurt along the way. Not anymore." The woman wanted to smile at his words but she had so much questions in her head. Starting with why the Capulets and Montagues hated each other so much?

"I will wait for you tomorrow midnight, my goddess." He kisses her one last time and heads towards the balcony and climbs down the vines. Juliet watches him leave carefully without being spotted by the guards.

Once he was gone, Juliet stared around her room. She remembered every kisses and love making that went on. She also remembered everything he had confessed. Prince Dante... no, Romeo Montague used her and took advantage of her to take revenge.

As much as she knew how horrible the Capulet family is, she never thought of her family being murderers. They can't be, could they?

She looks at the time. It's only 10:46PM. She walks out her room and notices that no one was around. They're probably all asleep. As she walks down the dimly lit hall, she approaches the room of the person she wanted to speak to. She knocks lightly on the wooden door. The door opens. "Juliet?" Nancy was surprised. She thought that Juliet was still mad at her. Usually her stubbornness would stay until the next day, but here she is in front of her bedroom door. "What are you doing here?"

"Nancy, we need to talk."