14

Part Two: Intermission

Alice Cullen had seen a happy future for her family, she ignored the trails that the Swan family would face in the near future. The fight against the Volturi had been successful with one death, the messenger responsible for causing trouble, with their enemies returning to their palace in Italy. 

Leaving Leah Clearwater to wonder the snowcovered streets of San Francisco in hand with Willow Swan. The toddler babbles on about the cartoons she had seen on television in the hotel room while Leah brought her outside to explore their new surroundings. 

That's when she hears the bell of a coffee shop earns her attention, without looking up Leah collides with the torso of a man. "I'm so sorry!" He bellows offering his hand to the werewolf, her brown eyes meeting his deep red eyes. Something that should trigger phasing but she is captivated by the pale young man. 

Leah's surroundings become a blur as she takes in his appearance from his sharp cheekbones to the blonde hair that sat on top of his head. He flashes a bright smile as he pulls her back on her feet.

Willow stands off to the side, a smile presented on her face. "I should've been watching where I was going." She utters pulling the human behind her for protection, she is almost a loss for words trying to avoid eye contact with the boy.

"No worries." He says, his nose finally getting the scent of wet dog enter his nose, he tries to avoid it looking at the tan woman protecting the young child behind her. "Let me buy you two a warm drink, you must be freezing."

Leah only lets out an awkward nod as she follows his lead back into the dimly lit cafe. He plays his emotions relaxed, needing to hide the secret that he was a vampire. From the moment he laid eyes on the dark brown eyed girl, he couldn't help but fall under her trap. She was a stunning woman, yet very athletic in build. 

Once the three are sat at a table in the back of the cafe the stranger orders hot drinks for the two girls. Leah pulls Willow close to her as he sits across from the pair. "I forgot to introduce myself, my name is Fred." He flashes another brilliant smile. 

Leah's cheeks flush red, something she hadn't done in a long while since she had her heart broken by Sam Uley. "I'm Leah, this is Willa." She introduces them with Willow smiling at the stranger as their drinks arrive and the waiter goes back to the front of the store. "It's not every day you come across a vampire." She says casually.

Fred looks back in horror, she knew his secret. Was he that bad at pretending to be human? "You can tell?" He asks, his confidence plummeting.

"There's more than one type of supernatural beings in the world, although I was hoping this trip I wouldn't have to deal with your kind." She comments and notices the frown on Fred's face. "Sorry, I've just been around a lot for almost a year, sometimes you just need a break."

His smile returns again as the pair get into conversation of getting to know each other, while Willow is left entertained by Leah's mobile phone and few toys she had spotted in the distance. She wasn't a being of getting in the way of soulmates interacting. 

It occurred to Leah that she felt healed from the hurt she had experienced in the past four years of her life. She was destroyed when Sam left her for her cousin she was once close to, the family was torn apart and she was forced to look on at their happiness. 

She had been bitter and jealous of her pack brothers finding their imprints. She thought she was doomed to endure life without moving on from the past. 

Now she sat across from a vampire in a big city, with a genuine smile on her face.