Chapter 7 - Red Rum

During the breakfast, David couldn't shake this feeling something bad was going to happen today. Jack noticed and seeing David out of his usual attitude worried him, so he whispers to Legosi "Do you know what's wrong with David? I haven't seen him look up this whole time."

Legosi has been watching David eat gloomy this whole time and wondered the same thing. He whispers back

"I'm not sure either. I don't know if he's sick or just reliving a bad memory."

Jack became curious as to why Legosi would suggest a bad memory and not anything else like a stomach ache or a tiredness.

"Does David have bad memories that make him like this?" Asked Jack

Legosi nods his head while still looking over at David with worry "He told me all that there was about him the more he visited during his summer."

Jack and Legosi kept staring more at David with unchanging worried expressions until Jack whispered "Maybe you should help him get his mind off whatever is troubling him, Legosi."

Legosi faces Jack with astonishment in his eyes "M-me? I mean, I could try, but I wouldn't know what to do."

Jack forms a ambitious smile as he says "Just help him feel better! I'm sure he'd appreciate it!"

Legosi looks back at David with a uncertain look in his face. He decides to wait until when breakfast was over to talk to David. Just as David and Legosi leave the cafeteria to walk to their next class, Jack guides the roommates to a different path in a different set of hallways to give Legosi and David alone time to talk. Legosi looked over at David and wondered what he could say, but before he did, David says without looking at Legosi "You're worried because of how I've been this morning."

This surprises Legosi but he still remains calm when he responds back "Well, yes. What is wrong? It's usually once a month, you have this feeling."

David displays a sad smirk as he reveals more about himself "Now... my people never kept calendars, but we knew star alignments and we used those for days. Today is the 21st of August. I'm not sure if my parents died in August, but I knew it was the 21st of some month."

Legosi felt privileged to be learning this much about David, but it only gives him doleful feelings. David looks out across the campus and Legosi says "Is there more to it?"

David shrugs looking back forward, but then to Legosi "I always thought of today as a bad luck day. It doesn't matter if I have the bad luck, it may be someone else's bad day."

Legosi began to wonder if his day might go bad. If it could happen to anyone David knows, why not him? After a few seconds, Legosi notices he has to part ways with David "Oh, uh, looks like we are going to our classes now. I'll see you later, David."

Legosi stops walking, but David walks backwards to face Legosi with a slight smile "I'll see you later today."

Before David could turn around fully, Legosi hastily said with a shy voice

"Hey, er, wait, David!" Legosi gets David stopped in his tracks to turn and listen to what Legosi has to say

"I promise that, whatever it may be, today won't be a bad day." David gave a tepid smile at Legosi and waved him goodbye. They both knew it wasn't goodbye, they were going to see each other later, but for now they both had to get to their classes. First for David was Math 2 and with his luck, he sees that Tem has arrived to his class first before he did. David sits next to Tem and greets with slight enthusiasm

"Good Morning, Tem. Wonderful weather we're having." Tem looks over at David and greets back David with greater enthusiasm

"Good Morning to you too, David! Did you hear the news?" David looked curious with a raised eyebrow at Tem as he laid out his supplies