Chapter Six

After Carl and Sophia left the RV I sat down on the couch and put my head in my hands, and just thought to myself. I put all the things that seemed unimportant to my current situation and I pushed it down into a box in my heart. Deciding to 'go through' it later.

"I heard the C.D.C is working on a cure." I heard My dad talking and decided to listen in.

"Man, that's a stretch right there." Shane, whose voice I smiled at, was doubtful of the plan. I decided to go outside and join in the conversation.

"Whats goin on?" I peeked out of the RV and looked over at Andrea, she was still holding Amy in her arms.

"Why? If there's any government left, any structure at all, they'd protect the C.D.C. at all costs, wouldn't they? I think it's our best shot. Shelter, protection..." Dad smiled and nodded his head at me as I approached them.

"Okay, Rick, you want those things, all right? I do too, okay? Now if they exist, they're at the army base. In Fort Benning!" Shane stressed his point and ran a hand through his hair before putting one arm around my shoulders and smiling. "Your with me right y/n?" Shane smilied at me.

"Hundred miles in the opposite direction." Mom piped up having taken the side of dad. My parents looked at me and urged me on to agree with them.

"I think we should consider our options. I mean, Fort Benning, away from the... well the hot zone. If Fort Benning is operational... it'll be heavily armed. We'd be safe there." I looked up at Shane and he had a smirk of victory on his face.

"The military were on the front lines of this thing! They got overrun, we have seen that. The C.D.C is our best choice and Jim's only chance!" Dad stressed his point and held tightly onto moms hand.

"You go looking for aspirin, do what you need to do. Someone needs to have some balls to take care of this damn problem!" Daryl interrupted the conversation and made eyes at Dad, giving him an in agreement nod.

"Hey! Hey! Hey!" Within seconds Shane had pulled me closer and stuck his hand out toward Daryl who was holding a pickaxe up ready to swing into Jim's head. I closed my eyes tight ready to hear commotion and an issue, when my dad stepped up and said something.

"We don't kill the living!" Dad's voice pulled my eyes open, to the sight of a gun to Daryl's head. Daryl said something I couldn't make out due to the fact I was focusing on the gun pointed at his head. Shane had said something as well, which I also hadn't paid attention to.

"You okay baby?" Shane's voice was low and next to my ear, pulling me out of the zone I was in. I nodded and smiled.

"Yes sir," I kissed Shane on the cheek, "Now officer, I am gonna go write." Shane smiled as I pulled away slightly. He smiled and grabbed my hand not letting me go as I got an arms length away.

"Can I come with?" He smiled and pulled me right back to his chest. I laughed and shook my head no. He sighed and planted several kisses onto my head before letting me go, slowly, extremely slowly.
After god knows how long I began walking around the camp looking around at everyone, watching bodies burn, people carrying the pre-dead and the fresh-dead to different places. I decided to check on T-Dog considering he had done quite a bit for me.

"Y/n!" T-Dog was about to drive up to the hill when he spotted me. He held his hand out for a bro hug, which I happily obliged. "How is the college student?"

"I am good." I chuckled and smiled. "How is the old guy?" He gave me an offended look before reaching for his gun and looking past me. I turned around to see Amy grabbing onto Andrea, a quick gunshot and Amy was dead, but this time for sure dead.

"Old guy, huh?" He smiled as though Amy hadn't just come back from life and continued our conversation. "C'mon you can help me out." He waved me over to hop into the passenger side of the truck and go with him. As we got to the top of the hill, a fire was already burning.

"Let me ask you something kid." We pulled the walkers out and threw them into the pile. I smiled and nodded. "You and Shane?" He wiggles his eyebrows and wiped his heads together.

"Not official." I smiled to myself. "But I think... maybe." I took a big sniff of the walkers burning and began coughing. "Nasty, nasty." I chuckled and plugged my nose.

"You get used to it." He looked around. "Think that was last trip. Thanks for the help college kid." T-Dog laughed and motioned for me to get back into the truck. We laughed the whole way down to the camp. As we pull up I see Shane walking towards the Jeep. I said my goodbyes to T-Dog and walked over to Shane while making popping noises.

"Thank you." Shane hadn't looked at me or anything yet, but his words were sincere and needed. "I didn't think you'd take my side in the Fort Benning thing. Rick thinks we should go to the C.D.C because of Jim. He also thinks that taking half our man power to the city was a smart move." Shane looked at me and melted as he did.

"I think that," I took a breath and thought a moment. "If we go to the C.D.C then we have a 1/100 chance of someone being there and having good luck." I looked at Shane and bit my lip. "I think Fort Benning is the move, although, I strongly believe we are done for. I don't think the military is anywhere anymore." Shane nodded in agreement.

"I care about you. You only." He took a breath. "Note that, remember it. Whatever. I only want what is best for you." I pushed myself up to sit on the hood of the Jeep. Shane stood in front of me and put his forehead against mine, putting a hand on my thigh, and a hand behind me. "You are the only reason I'm alive." I nodded against him while smiling like a fool. We sat there a moment before he pulled away slightly and looked at me.

"So, officer, what are you n' I gonna do?" I put my hand on top of Shane's and looked over his face. He looked confused but, calm. "It's just us now, I mean the rest of the group will listen to my dad. They take his word for what they do, it's our choice if we go or not. Right?" I smiled and lifted my free hand to Shane's face. He nodded and smiled.

"Groups are safer as far as we know." Shane pushed slightly closer to me again. "I say we go to C.D.C with them. Might get lucky, for once." It was decided, I'd stick with Shane regardless of what happened.