Chapter Twenty-Six

After my conversation with my mother and Shane I left the house crying. Shane, as I assumed, followed me. He was silent when he followed me, I was upset. More upset than I'd been in a long while. I went straight to the tent. I wanted to just cry. I entered the tent and pulled off my shirt. I pulled my pants off too. I threw a hoodie on, leaving the hood up, and curled up hugging my knees. Shane came into the tent with me. He hesitated, but he pulled me into a hug. I cried into him because I couldn't help it. Something about his scent and calming hold just let me do as I wanted. I closed my eyes and just let myself fall into sleep. Shane held onto me and he held on tight. I slowly, but surely fell asleep.

"Shane!" I cried out as I tried to run towards him. There was someone behind him and I was desperately trying to get to him. Someone pulled me back and pulled me away.

"Y/n!" Shane had his gun up he was shooting walkers. Some turned around and faced me and whoever was with me. I wanted to push through to get to Shane. I couldn't leave him there. I just couldn't.

"Shane!" I cried out again, before being completely pulled away. I finally turned around and ran in the direction of the road. I realized it was Carl who was with me, he looked older and more rough. We kept running and things felt normal. We got back to an old truck, it was brown and white. I started it and drove off. I was crying. I'd left Shane behind, like he was nothing. I had no other choice but, I had done it. My heart was swollen. I'd driven us about 10 miles before pulling over and crying. Carl put his hand on my back and calmed me down. I was crying more than I ever have and I couldn't stop. Carl began to shake me, when I looked over Carl wasn't there anymore. I closed my eyes.

When my eyes opened again I was in the tent. Shane was trying to shake me awake. He realized I was awake and smiled gently.

"Y/n, you scared the ever living shit out of me." Shane pulled me up from my laying down position on looked me over. I looked at him confused. "You were yelling my name in your sleep. What happened?" Shane was genuinely concerned about me.

"I had to leave you behind." I whispered and looked at Shane. He nodded and hugged me. I swallowed and hugged back. Shane slid me onto his lap and gave me an even better hug. "Okay, okay, we should get up." I pulled away and Shane smiled at me. I began to pull of his lap before stopping. "Is dad back?" Shane shook his head no. I sighed and nodded. I couldn't decide what I wanted to wear.

"If you want I have some sweatpants-" Shane pulled out a pair of black sweatpants and within seconds I had snatched them and put them on. "Alright, good to know." They were quite big so I had to roll them a few times at the waist. I pulled off the hoodie and put on an old crop top. Shane smiled at me and unzipped the tent allowing me out first. I got out and looked around. I saw Daryl, T-Dog, and Andrea all packing up stuff in the green car.

"What are y'all doing?" I walked up to the car and they all looked at me.

"We are gonna go get the mission' group." Daryl keeps his teeth together as he speaks, like he's mad or something. Shane followed me over there and we nodded. Andrea walked off to the RV.

"I'll get ready to go." I about walked off before Daryl grabbed my wrist and shook his head.

"No, you are staying here." Daryl was firm and put in place.

"Why?" I put a hand on my hip and shook out of Daryl's grasp. "I'm not just gonna sit here while my dad is out there. I did that for long enough. Shane you're with me on this one right?"

"Y/n, you're staying here." Daryl repeated himself. "What happens if we see him in a way you can't handle? You saw how Carol handled seeing her daughter like that. I'm not letting one of the strong be like that too." I huffed and walked away. Andrea was talking to Dale. I started walking to the tent when I heard a car. I looked around and saw the cruiser they took. I ran towards where they were going to pull up. Mom and Carl ran towards it too. They pulled up and everyone got out.