Chapter Two

Shane brought me back to his camp, with all the people. He told me about every person at least the important ones. Amy, Andrea, Glenn, Dale, Jim, Jaccqi, Carol, Sofia, Daryl, Merle, T-dog, Morales, amongst others. I'm not sure what any of them look like, but I've got some notion. As Shane and I arrived at camp he smiled at me and got out of the Jeep.

"Stay here for a minute." Shane smiled and grabbed my hand squeezing it and then letting go. He got out of the Jeep and began to walk away. "Carl! Guess what I found!" Carl ran towards Shane with wonder in his eyes. Within seconds he looked behind Shane and spotted me getting out of the Jeep.

"Y/n!" Carl yelled at the top of his lungs and then he ran to me as fast as his feet could take him. I got down on my knees hugging him tight. I stood up and walked towards my mom with Carl's hand in mine. Seeing mom looked more shocked than anything I've ever seen made me smile bright. She was smiling just as bright with shock covering her face.

***

Later that night the group was sitting around the campfire. I had Shane to my left, Carl on my right, and Mom on his right. I explained everything that had happened to Angelina and I. I was leaning on Shane, he began playing with my hair gently twisting and untwisting it in his fingers. As time past we all shared stories. Mom offered up her tent but, I decided to find somewhere else to sleep. I wasn't going to ruin anything that was already started. I stayed up later than Carl and Mom, Shane stayed up with me.

"Can I tell you something?" Shane asked me while I played with a stick, he gently dragged it in the dirt creating shadowed shapes in the light of the burning out fire. His tone was serious but, filled with wonder and curiosity.

"Always." I smiled and looked up at him. I felt more safe than I had in months.

"I know I'm arrogant, cocky, and a douché. I do, but I have to lead this group. Protect them." Shane looked up at me. We made direct eye contact. He was spilling out his guts to me, it didn't take an idiot to know that. I listened. "Then I decided to do this really awesome kid a favor, but I won't lie- I kinda wanted to do it for myself, I brought this girl home. She is going to be the death of me." Shane let out a sigh. It had already been a long day. Learning who everyone was and adjusting to this. "This girl makes it easier, not to mention she is in college and a total distraction."

"Shane." I let out a laugh as I put a hand on his shoulder. Shane gave a chuckle as I huffed. "I get what you mean. There's that one person who makes you doubt yourself, but always makes you smile. Clearly the best person on earth, even when they can't see it themselves. A total goddess." Shane put his hand on top of mine with a laugh, his eyes met mine and he swallowed.

"Yeah." Shane squeezed my hand tight. I let out a small laugh and nodded. "You can sleep in my tent tonight."

"No, I can sleep in the Jeep or-" his hand suddenly covered my mouth. He started laughing while I glared.

"Come on, baby. Let's go to bed." Shane spoke with a fake sensual tone. He let go of me and stood up extending his hand out to me. I had no say so I did as I was told and slept next to him in his tent. A few hours later I was woken up.

"Hey y/n? You still awake?" Shawn asked as he looked over at me. His voice was groggy and low in a sexy way. I paused before I nodded.

"Yeah. What's up?" I rolled over to face him. Half awake I opened my eyes a little more than I thought I could.

"I remember a journal I found." He sat up and grabbed a journal. Handing it to me. "You can keep it. I know you still keep writing utensils and drawing supplies on you." He laid back down. I smiled bright.

"Thank you Shane." I held the journal in my hands and smiled. I slowly began to fall asleep.

***