Chapter Thirteen

"Y/n!" Shane whisper yelled out my name while he grabbed my arm and pulled me onto the ground I fell to my palms and bit my lip from screaming out. "Sorry." He mumbled into my ear after pulling me to the ground. Glenn was under the van with us, I ended up in the middle. Luckily I grabbed my pistol so I was ready to shoot at any moment. I stayed silent while making sure I wasn't bleeding, sure enough I was. I kicked my foot down at the ground pissed off. I watched as walkers passed, I covered my hands by pressing them tight to the ground. As the herd slowed down, I heard a scream coming from across the road. Shane looked at me and I waited about a minute before getting up and losing out from under the van leaving Shane and Glenn behind. I looked and saw Sophia jump the dense with two walkers following. I jumped on the trial Dad following me close. I watched as Dad ran on a different side of Sophia not on her trail directly. I chose to directly follow her and the walkers hoping to draw them away.

"Hey!" The walkers only slowed down the chase when I called. They slowly lingered looking for the noise, I slipped behind some trees peeking between them. They turned back around to face the sound of a small scream, I did as well slipping onto the same side Dad was when he ran. I followed the two walkers closely watching them run towards the noise. I saw Dad and Sophia, I quickly ran up and looked at them. "Go! I've got it!" They sent off running and I attempted to draw the walkers away again. I jumped over a log and into a pond where I saw Sophia hiding underneath some brush. I made as much noise in the water as I could without yelling. Sophia and eye made eye contact and I held up my hand giving her a sign to stay. I rushed out of the water and towards some trees, I noticed my dad's boot and I ran around the other side of him.

"Shit!" I surprised him and he almost hit me with a rock, of course I ducked knowing he would do that. He turned around as we heard growling and he threw the rock against the walkers head, and then I stepped out and stabbed the other in the head. We rushed back to the pond and saw Sophia was gone. We ran back to the highway hoping that she had made her way back up there. When we reached the highway everyone was gathered around the RV, Shane looked over when he heard me jump the railing. Relief washed over his face and he ran over to me and hugged me.

"Holy shit." Shane mumbled into my ear holding me close. His arms hugged my waist tighter than he ever has before, he held me there for a long while. "Alright," Shane tightened his grip and then slowly let go. "Let me look you over." He pulled away and did exactly what he said, he looked me over. Checking me for anything that was remotely concerning, of course he eventually saw my palms and his face dropped. "When? How?"

"When you pulled me down before the-" I thought for a moment. "Herd I guess." I shrugged and Shane looked closely at my palms, they were cracked and slightly bleeding.

"I'm sorry," he kissed both my palms gently. "I'm, so sorry." He was concerned and looked broken and beat up. When he looked up and looked me in the eyes, I noticed they were slightly red and puffy. I pulled my hands from his grasp and cupped his cheeks and ran my hands under his eyes and over the red puff. He smiled and cupped his hands on top of mine, I stood on my tippy toes and put my forehead against his. We stood for a moment before Carl tugged on my shirt.

"Y/n?" Carl asked while Shane and I pulled apart. I looked at Carl and smiled.

"What's up little man?" I picked up Carl and rested him on my hip, I've been doing it since he was a baby and I don't plan to stop anytime soon.

"Where is Sophia? Dad said he is going to go look for her again..." Carl gave me sad eyes. I nodded.

"Of course we are," I smiled and held him close. "We are gonna find her 'nd you guys are gonna play tic-tac-toe again." I ran a hand through Carl's hair before setting him down.

"Okay..." He looked doubtful.

"Do you remember that time when we raced home and I ended up giving you a piggy back ride for over ten blocks?" I kneeled in front of Carl and smiled at him.

"Yeah!" Carl exclaimed and smiled bright. "I could have won if it wasn't so hot out." He scoffed and smiled.

"Really?" I smiled. "Rematch? Right here right now."

"Yes! What does winner get?" Carl jumped up and down.

"Whatever winner wants," I paused. "Within reason." I chuckled.

"How far are y'all goin'?" Shane walked over with what appeared to be a box of medication. He looked at me and flashed what they were, condoms. I quickly snatched the box and put it in my back pocket.

"How about," I looked around. "You see the water truck over there? We run from the RV to there, then back?" Carl smiled. He ran over to the front of the RV. I quickly handed Shane the box and gave him the look of 'I cannot believe you just did that' and walked after Carl. Shane chuckled and walked away. "Dale! You watch see who wins right?" I smiled as I called up to him. I got a thumbs up and let Carl count us off.

"Ready," Carl took a breath and got into position, I just stood casually and didn't move. "Set," I turned around and faced the water truck. "Go!" Carl yelled and we both took off. My feet picked up and I bolted far past Carl and to the water truck. As I reached it, I stopped for a minute and pulled out the mostly empty container of water that Shane popped open earlier. I took a drink and watched as Carl touched the side and then hugged before running the other way. Once I noticed he was close to halfway I put the container back and bolted again. Carl saw me behind him and attempted to keep running fast. He eventually slowed even though I was behind him. I came up behind Carl and swooped him into my arms bridal style, I did it surprisingly enough and set him down in front of the RV.

"So," I smiled up at Dale, "who won?" I saw Carl looking down in defeat and I pointed at him.

"Well, I'm sorry to say this Y/N..." Dale gave a fake sigh, "But Carl won that time." I watched as Carl's face lit up and he fist bumped the air. Dale winked at me and I mouthed the words 'thank you.'

"Y/n!" Dad called me over waving his hand up and motioning it towards him. "You going to come help look for Sophia? Daryl is gonna track her." Dad put and arm around my shoulder. I shrugged.

"Yeah, I'll go." I smiled and hugged him. "Let me know when your ready I want to make sure I have my knife and gun." He nodded and I jogged off into the RV.

****

Authors note

Ahhh! Okay, so I think I'm going to start pulling some- "what the hell!" Ends of chapters because I love those reactions. Maybe I'm just giving too much away to my readers :)
If y'all ever want to connect with me about ideas or anything just comment and I'll send you my Instagram so y'all can DM me on there.

Stay safe!