Chapter Seven

We were all packed and ready to leave, Morales and his family was decided on seeing if they had family alive. I know they don't, but it's their decision. I decided on riding with Shane in the Jeep rather than with my parents, Carl, Carol, and Sophia. As I was finishing loading my stuff up in the Jeep I looked over to see Dale was looking for a place to put the guns.

"Dale!" I smiled and walked over to him after I put my stuff away. "Need some help?" He held the sheriffs bag and scrunched up his nose confused.

"I assume that's what I appear to look like." Dale chuckled as he spoke. He nodded and handed me the rifle that was in his hand. "Thank you kid."

"Dale..." I gave him a look and he smiled. "Still not a kid." I took the rifle and followed him into the RV to sort out the guns. We figured each vehicle needs one for each adult, excluding Jim. I took a rifle and two pistols to Shane and I's Jeep, while taking another rifle to the cruiser my Dad was driving. Of course, I dropped my dads rifle off first. "Dad, I brought you a treat!" I held out his rifle and smiled.

"Thanks kiddo," as he reached out for the gun I noticed his watch, he could tell I was looking at it. "Never gonna take it off." He smiled a cheesy smile, while he put the gun in the car.

"Good. It might stop a bullet." I smiled cheekily and hugged him. "Love you kid." He kissed the top of my head and let me go. Sending me off to go put away the rest of the guns. I walked over to the Jeep and placed the pistols where the cup holders are and the rifle in the back seat. There isn't a topper on the Jeep so it was quite easy to do so. Right as I turned around I bumped into a chest quickly ready to grab the gun I had just set down. Of course, as usual, it was Shane attempting to sneak up on me.

"Hello there." He smiled and inspected my face seeing that I hit him pretty hard this time. He held my chin in his hand while taking the other one to press on my nose making sure I didn't break it with my keen sense of turning around.

"It's not broken," I scrunched my face up, "Your chest is like a wall, and I'm used to walking into those." I pursed my lips in a 'matter of fact' kind of way.

"C'mon we gotta go." He traced my jaw with a finger before letting go and walking away, without realizing my hand was in his.

"Shane." I said his name drawing out the 'ane' part. He pulled me into his chest and hugged me. I giggled and held onto him. He planted a kiss onto my head and then let me go do I could get into the Jeep. "Thank you."

"Your lucky, I could have held you there all day." He smiled and watched me show off and jump over the door into the Jeep. As he got in he put his hand on my thigh and I put my hand on top of his. The RV pulled out, the cruiser, and then us. We held hands while I waved at Morales and his family driving the opposite direction.

"C'mon y/n!" My new mom yelled at me because I was refusing to eat. After only a week she already began losing her mind at me. "Rick!" She yelled for my dad, who seemed to calm me down more, although I don't like when he is mad.

"Lori, Shane is here!" My dad ran down the stairs and to the front door greeting someone. I continued to sob holding my bunny while my mom yelled. I saw a man walk in next to my dad. I slid off the chair and ran towards my dad.

"You must be the new little girl." A man with fluffy looking hair in a sheriffs uniform was on his knees in front of me. I stood terrified holding tight into my stuffed bunny, dry tears stained my face and I knew it. He held his hand out and smiled. "I'm your new favorite person." I giggled and grabbed his hand. I saw as my mom threw her hands up in the air angry. The man with fluffy hair picked me up so I began to play with his hair.

"Fluffy." I giggled and leaned into him. After all he was the only person I liked from the start.

"Y/n." Someone was saying my name and rubbing my thigh. I figured it was Shane, so I just rolled away. Moving myself to a position that I was convinced I'd be unreachable. I head a car door shut and the one next to me open. I popped open on of my eyes and saw Shane standing there looking down and shaking his head. "Wake up." He put a hand on my thigh and leaned against the door. As I went to roll over again a hand stopped me and pulled me up into a sitting up position. "You heard me."

"Why? Are we already here?" I yawned as got out of the Jeep still holding Shane's hand, I reached for the gun in the cup holder and put it in my holster. We walked over to the RV where I saw Jim leaning up against the tree. "That's why." I looked up and Shane and he nodded. "Let's go say goodbye." I squeezed Shane's hand and tugged him towards Jim.

"Hey Jimbo." Shane said with a melancholy tone. Jim smiles weekly and pulled himself up a bit, coughing.

"Shane, y/n..." Jim coughed again and reached a hand up to me, gently I let go of Shane's and grabbed his. "Promise me one thing."

"Of course, for you... anything." I smiled and squeezed Jim's hand.

"You and him, make it work. I've seen the way..." he coughed even more. "You look at him." He smiled and let go of my hand. He made a shooing motion with his hand.

"Goodbye Jim." I kissed him on the head and Shane shook his hand, they exchanged some words and then Shane walked over to me. He grabbed my hand once again and sniffled, pretending to be okay.

"Lets get going people!" Glenn calls as he heads back into the RV with Dale and Jacqui. Shane and I climbed back into the Jeep. We took the back of the vehicle line again, this time with the cruiser up front. We rode together and continued playing twenty-one questions. From the day before.

"So..." Shane squeezed my hand and licked his lips whilst smirking a bit. "What did you mean by I'm one of those guys?" He emphasized 'those' just as I did when I said it. I turned my head and laughed a bit.

"It means you are one of-" I turned my head and spotted the most beautiful deer ever. "Oh my god, that's gorgeous." I smiled at it and then turned back to a scowling Shane. "It means you are one of the guys who goes from what's your favorite color, to are you a virgin." I smirk and he puts on a fake mad look.

"That hurts somewhere special." He lets go of my hand and covers his 'somewhere special'. I laughed and he let go and held my hand again. "That was the question I was going to ask..." he trails his voice off into nothing, waiting for an answer.

"Yes and no." I smiled and scrunched up my nose.

"How yes and no?" He emphasized 'and' while slowing down while we turned.

"One guy, a really long time ago. Other than that..." instead of finishing my sentence I held up my free hand and wiggled my fingers. He pulled his face and laughed, we laughed. For the first time in a long time, I felt free... a real kind of free.

****

Authors note

How's everyone enjoying this? I think I only wrote this chapter because of the recent activity it's been getting. Fan-fiction is surprisingly popular. If y'all got anyone else you'd like me to write a reader x character with I happily will, just comment and let me know!
Thank you for the support ❤️