Chapter Fourteen

Daryl, Glenn, Dad, Shane, and I all walked to the sight where we last saw Sophia together. Dad showed Daryl where he'd last seen her and I confirmed it. I'd seen her creep out of the vines as the walkers got closer to me. She did exactly as told, when she moved away she did as told. I didn't see her after that.

"She was gone by the time we got back here." Dad walked through the murky water back towards where we came. I hadn't gone down considering I had a hard enough time getting back up when we went up earlier. "I told her go that way and keep the sun on her left shoulder."

"Aye," Daryl pointed up at Glenn. "Short round, why don't you move over to one side your mucking up the trail."

"Sorry..." Glenn moved to the side and looked over at  Shane and I he smiled a little bit. I was holding his hand and being childish, conspiring hand sizes and all that cute stuff. I pulled away when Shane looked towards Dad.

"Assuming she knows her left from her right." Shane shrugged and looked around.

"Shane, she understood me just fine." Dad looked pissed and pointed at the vines.

"Kids," Shane sighed. "They get tired and scared man, she had her close call with two walkers." He looked at him with anger.

"Gotta wonder how much you said stuck." I smiled worryingly at dad and he huffed. It was visible in his face that he was blaming himself.

"Clear prints right here." Daryl cut us off, "She did what you said and headed back to the highway." We all decided follow Daryls lead.

"We gonna find her, she's probably all tuckered out hiding in a bush somewhere." Shane reassured Dad, he was more concerned than I was. After a little awhile of walking we stopped, Shane and Daryl crouched on the ground looking at what was right there.

"She was doing just fine 'till right here." Daryl inspected the ground. "All she had to do was keep goin' veered off that way." Daryl pointed left and everyone looked that direction.

"Why would she do that?" Glenn stood in a worrisome stance, gun at ease, shoulders down.

"Maybe she saw somethin'?" I suggested. "Spooked her?" Dad nodded, he put a hand on my shoulder and swallowed hard.

"Made her run off..." Shane added.

"Walker?" Glenn's voice got shakey, he was nervous.

"I don't see any other footprints, just hers." Daryl looked around for clues.

"So, what do we do?" Shane concentrated on the ground. "Press on?"

"No, it would be better if you, Glenn, and y/n went back up to the highway." Dad took his hand off my shoulder and wiped his nose, he pointed out towards us. "People are gonna start panicking, let them know we are on her trail doing everything we can." He looked at me. "But, most importantly keep everybody calm." Dad motioned to us and looked at Shane.

"Right," Shane sighed. "Keep em' busy scavenging cars, pick up a few other chores." He licked his lips and looked at me.

"I'll keep em' occupied." I smiled. "C'mon." I signaled for Glenn to follow and we made our way back up the highway. Once out of sight I grabbed Shane's free hand. I swallowed hard and he noticed. He dropped my hand and he hugged me.

"It's okay." Shane whispered in my ear. He held the back of my head close to his chest and my waist close to him as well. I hugged around his waist tight, like when I was little. We stood for a moment while Glenn watched. I had a feeling Glenn was smiling while watching us. I took a quivered deep breath and let go of Shane.