Chapter Eight

As we arrived at the C.D.C everything was dead, a small representation of what the world was now. Shane and I grabbed our pistol and he grabbed the rifle as well. I grabbed Shane's hoodie and put it on, he looked over at me in it and I smiled bright him chuckling as he walked over to me and kissed me on the head. We walked over several dead walkers and looked around making sure none got up. As we approached the building. Shane and I walked close holding each other as we did.

"Alright everybody, stay quiet we don't know which one if any of these dead ones are still moving." Shane was making sure everyone was quiet. I walked behind Carl and Sophia making sure they were okay, they were my number one priority. As we approached the building I pounded on the shutter, they were closed.

"Kid, no one is here." T-Dog put a hand on my shoulder. I pulled away, I knew for damn sure someone was in there.

"The shutters are down." My dad joined in with me pounding on the shutters.

"Walkers!" Daryl lifted his crossbow and pushed Carol and Sophia behind him in a protective manner. "You lead us to a graveyard!"

"He made a call!" Shane looked at me and then held up his gun. He understood what I was thinking and I understood what he was thinking.

"It was the wrong damn call!" Daryl shot back at Shane and shot a walker in the head with an arrow.

"Just shut up! You hear? Shut up. Rick it's a dead end, we've got to go now!" Shane reaches for my hand and I pulled away, banging on the shutter again.

"Someone is in there! I know it!" I spat out my words and felt my dad put his hand on my shoulder.

"We can't be this close to the city after dark!" My mom cried out clinging to Carl. I made eye contact with dad, he nodded as we both understood that we knew someone was inside.

"Where are we gonna go!" Jacqui fiddled with her fingers watching as Glenn and Daryl took out walkers.

"Fort Benning is still an an option." Shane his a smile knowing his was right all along.

"On what? No food, no fuel! That's 100 miles." Andrea spoke for the first time in a while, her tone was blank and annoyed.

"Forget fort Benning. We need answers now!" My mom spoke and was extremely annoyed.

"Well think of something. Let's get going! C'mon you two. Let's go." Shane grabbed my arm and pulled me back. I let him, right as I saw the security camera move.

"It moved." I spoke with my words barely audible. I went to pull away with Shane catching my hand, he pulled me to him.

"Y/n... it didn-" we were cut off by my dad banging on the shutters.

"It moved! It moved!" Dad pounded with all his might on the door. I shook out of Shane's grasp and did the same.

" Man, just listen to me. Look around this place. It's dead, okay? It's dead. You need to let it go, Rick." Shane tried to reason with us as we pounded on the door. Ignoring him I began to yell up at the camera.

"Your killing us!" I kicked the shutter. "Please!"

"We're desperate! We have women and children! No food, water, or shelter!" My dad joined in with the yelling.

"There's no one here!" Mom yells as her and Shane attempt to pry us away from the door.

"Please! We have nowhere else to go!" I call out attempting to kick open the bottom of the shutter.

"Everybody get to the cars!" Shane calls as he gets a firm grasp on my wrist, being able to pull me away from the door.

"If you don't let us in you're killing us! Please!" Dad continues to bang on the shutter.

"Rick! Let's go! Now!" Shane yells at dad as he holds onto me. Attempting to get me to leave it alone.

"Please! You're killing us! You're killing us! You are killing us!" I plead out one last time, reaching my leg out and kicking the shutter hard with all my force. I begin to cry as I realize there is no hope seeing that even now my dad had stopped pounding and yelling. I drop my weight into Shane and he gives me a quick hug, and kisses my head. As we turned around to leave the now dented shutter opened and light flooded into the area of where the group stood. When I turned around I was so stunned I couldn't move from my spot. When I realized what was happening Shane had brought me inside and stood guard with his arms around my waist looking at the guy with a shotgun before us.

"Anybody infected?" The man before us spoke in a husky empty tone, pointing the shotgun at us making sure.

"One of our group was... he don't make it." My dad spoke with his hands up and at a distance.

"Why are you here? What do you want?" The man lowered the gun and looked at us suspiciously.

"A chance." Dad spoke in a doubtful tone.

"Price of addition, you all submit a blood test." He spoke and looked around. "Go get your stuff, one those doors close they stay closed." He began walking away. We all hustled out to go get our stuff, Shane asked me to stay out and I happily listened. I watched over the little kids and explained to them some basic rules they needed to follow while here.

"Rule numbero uno." I spoke with a smile on my face. "Don't cause trouble, god knows how long we will be here and I ain't tryin to get kicked out because of some goofballs." I ruffled Carl's hair and he laughed. "Rule number two, do as the new guy says. If he asks you to take off your shoes you will do so, unless your moms say different. Just listen to him like he is your uncle that you've never met before." I watched as Sophia tensed up.

"I think we will hate it here." Sophia spoke in a small tone and looked at me with sad eyes.

"You'll have so much fun. I promise." Carl spoke before I had the chance. He held out his pinky and interlocked it with Sophia's. "Anything else?" Carl smiled at me and when I shook my head no he took Sophia's hand and walked off. I stood up and almost immediately felt my waist being grabbed my Shane.

"I can't wait to have kids." He growled into my ear and I shivered a bit. I leaned my head back onto his shoulder. Not saying anything. "What? Am I getting the silent treatment?" I still said nothing, he began to let go of my waist and I scowled pulling his hands right back where they were. He obeyed and we stood there for a minute before I knew we had to move. I slowly pulled away when he decided to quite literally sweep me off my feet and carry me the direction the guy from earlier walked towards.

"VI, seal the main entrance." The man said as he lead the group into another room.

"Rick Grimes." My dad extended his hand towards the man.

"Dr. Erwin Jenner." Jenner shook my dads hand. With that simple action. I felt safe, safer than I've felt in a long time.

*****

Authors note

The next chapter will most likely have a sex scene in it, so chapter 9 will be one that can be skipped, I'll put a small recap of chapter 9 on chapter 10, so if you are uncomfortable with reading scenes like that there will be a recap. They will be put out within an hour of each other. :)

Stay healthy ❤️