gone for too long | todoroki

todoroki shouto x reader

warnings: fluff

word count: 2,595

a/n: okay so this hits home because my boyfriend and i are in long distance :) so this is basically 50% of the struggle of having a boyfriend who you can't love as constantly as you can. also anon, loved this so much!!!!!!! AND I LOVE YOU MUAH HAVE A GOOD NIGHT

~

"Pick up, already."

You lay in bed, your laptop in front of you, the all too familiar ringing of FaceTime echoed through your apartment as you waited for your boyfriend to pick up. A tired grin comes upon your face as the screen turns black, and then the pixelated form of your boyfriend appears on the screen.

"Sorry, my computer glitched out for a bit," Shouto's voice flows from your computer speaker, the scratchy tone from it being online blending into his tone. "You're calling late."

"Oh yeah, sorry!" You laugh shifting your position while bringing a pillow to your lap, something you did often while calling Shouto, it helped make it feel like he was there with you. "We had a major breakthrough with the lab, it was so phenomenal, I think we'll be done by this summer's end."

Shouto grinned, the pixels glitching just the tiniest amount as it tried to keep up with real-time, "That's great! Two years later, and you're almost finished!"

You groan at the thought of it being two years, that hurt a lot more than you realized.

It had been two years since you had left your home in Japan.

"Yeah..." You agree, your voice trailing off as you stared at the keyboard instead of your boyfriend. "When will you not be busy? I miss you."

Shouto frowns, or at least you think he frowns, the lagging of the screen makes it hard to tell what emotion is occurring on his face at the time as he wasn't the most expressive. "It's just been a bit busy right now; when I have an opening I'll make sure to come down," Shouto explains, as per tradition.

It had been two years since you came down to London, England for a special experiment that you had been allowed to be the head researcher for. So you hadn't had the time to go home to visit as you had to be there at the lab, except for the one time you went home last year.

It was a two-day trip back to Japan so that you could surprise Shouto as part of your third-year anniversary, but as you did this under wraps, Shouto had the same plan under wraps.

You remember getting back to Japan and arriving home to find the house empty. Thinking it was just Shouto being busy that day, the second you picked up your phone from a call from your boyfriend, you wanted to cry hearing that he was currently outside your apartment wondering where you were.

Shouto had tried to desperately get a flight back home, as you couldn't afford to get your ticket moved, but like every month anniversary, the two of you spent your third-year anniversary via FaceTime. Only that you were in Japan and he was in England. And to make matters worse, he was back inside the airport two minutes after final boarding ended.

"I miss you, more," Shouto sighs, and the two of you just watch each other through the screen. "You're getting a bit of an accent."

You can't help the laugh that escapes your lips, as you quickly wipe a tear away from your cheeks and the two of you are thrown into a conversation concerning whether or not your Japanese was truly becoming muddled with an accent. There the two of you sat, chatting away, longing to be beside each other, but continued speaking so that the distance between you two just seemed a bit more temporary.