thirtyfive.

"

"... Thank you for um," Hesitating to finish her sentence, she cleared her throat and exhaled softly before continuing,"thank you so much for picking up when I called and allowing me to come over so we could talk. I um, I know this is weird for the both of us but I just really needed someone to talk to. Pregnant woman to pregnant woman, I guess."

Laughing the awkwardness she felt off, Lori watched Karlae maneuver around the kitchen going back and forth from the stove to the oven. She was sterilizing Lennox's bottles and baking herself chocolate chip cookies simultaneously. Finally settling down and joining Lori at the kitchen bar, she exhaled softly preparing herself for whatever Lori's visit brought.

She was surprised to have Lori call her phone sobbing late lastnight, practically begging her not to hang up and just listen to her. Lori felt like she had finally reached her breaking point and needed someone to talk to, and even though they didn't start off on the right foot Karlae was the only person she could think to call. Calling her cell phone at three in the morning wasn't the nerve wrecking part, hoping she picked up and didn't open her mouth to curse her smooth out.

Exiting the kitcen, Karlae joined her in the family room,"Lori, how did you even get my number?"

Laughing at Karlae's tone Lori said,"I still had it from a while ago, around the time Ermias first introduced you to everyone. I remember takin' your number from him but obviously I never got around to using it until–"

Karlae finished for her,"Lastnight."

"Right."

"So, what's going on? Why were you crying so hard on the phone lastnight?"

"I just," She could feel the tears welling in her eyes just thinking about lastnight,"I just finally had enough, you know? And I'm just tired. I don't want you to look at Sam like he's a bad person because he's not, I just think it's time for us to part ways for good."

"But what about you guys' baby though?"

"I don't think I should keep it, honestly."

"Are you serious?" Karlae asked in shock, watching Lori nod her sadly while instinctively placing a hand on her small pudge. "Why Lori?"

"It's just that ever since I told him about the pregnancy he's been acting so different. Very irritable, always on edge, everytime I open my mouth to say something it's like he has to snap back at me— we're always arguing and honestly I'm over living like this anyway. I mean, I know I did my dirt, I was wrong for cheating too and I regret it and I'm sorry for what I did but he has to let it go and forgive me at some point right? I forgave him and took him back after his infidelity, so it's like why can't he do the same?"