Chapter 1

Darkkit padded forward, his belly close to the ground, trying to make as close as he could to no sound. The elder was sunning himself a couple mouse lengths away, not aware of Darkkit spying on him.

Mistkit stalked alongside him, her small paws easily avoided anything that could give them away, while Darkkit had a harder time, but he had longer strides allowing him to avoid multiple rock and sticks.

He bunched his muscles and leaped at Nightshade with his small claws extended, Mistkit followed close behind. "Got you, Thunderclan frog dung!" Darkkit yowled when he landed on Nightshade's stinky tick-infested stomach. Nightshade grunted when Darkkit landed on him but barely did anything when Mistkit landed on him.

Darkkit growled softly and sank his claws a little bit into Nightshade's exposed underbelly which woke him up, "What was that for, you shouldn't use your claws on your clanmates its uncivilized and it hurts, you must show respect to your elders." Nightshade growled.

Darkkit rolled his eyes, he still missed Briarblaze, who had died in her sleep three moons ago. Nightshade would sleep all day unless you woke him up then he would take about the same thing for a couple hours then go back to sleep. Briarblaze's kits, Raventalon, Dawnstar, Brambleheart, and Sunlight were the only ones alive with her blood in them, her other two kits were dead, Willowvine and Fernpatch.

"Darkkit, Mistkit are you bothering Nightshade again?" Darkkit heard his mother Cloudbreeze calling. Another voice came in not too far away, never mind he forgot the jerk brothers still had Briarblaze's blood in them, (Dawnstar's sons) Darkkit looked over to see Eaglekit leading Rockkit and Scarkit over, "Yeah Darkkit stop bothering the elders." Eaglekit was a Dark brown tabby tom-kit with amber eyes, Rockkit was a dark grey tabby tom-kit with amber eyes, and Scarkit was also a Dark brown tabby tom-kit with amber eyes but he has a long scar running from his ear all the way down to his paw. He got the scar after sneaking out of camp where he was attacked by a dog.

Scarkit was the nicest followed by Rockkit but Eaglekit was just a plain jerk. Darkkit walked away from Nightshade with Mistkit trying to ignore Nightshade's calls and Eaglekit's sneers, he was calling after them, "Don't use your claws on clanmates again." This wasn't the first time he was scolded for using his claws on clanmates. He had attacked Eaglekit once, and even Midnight once who was a warrior who used to be a rouge.

Scarkit bounded over to him and meowed, "Ignore Eaglekit, he is just boasting and trying to be tougher than you because he is scared of you. At least you won't have to sleep with Eaglekit tonight." Darkkit looked at Scarkit, "What?" "We are becoming apprentices at sunhigh." Scarkit responded. Darkkit felt his heart miss a beat, Scarkit was his one friend besides his little sister Mistkit and he was going to become an apprentice.

Darkkit also wanted to become the next leader of Shadowclan with Scarkit as his deputy and Mistkit as his Medicine Cat, he remembered when he had attacked Eaglekit. Eaglekit had been boasting about how he was going to become the next Shadowclan leader, "I'll become the next leader of this clan and make it feared once again, Rockkit will be my deputy." "What about me?" Scarkit had asked. Eaglekit had got a scratch on his muzzle for his response, "You won't be able to hunt or fight because of your scar so you can be my Medicine Cat but I doubt you'll be good at that either."

"Hey at least in two moons you can join me and we can train together, and when I become leader I promise I'll make you deputy." Scarkit said. Darkkit laughed, "Sorry, but I plan on becoming leader first." Scarkit, Mistkit, and Cloudbreeze were the only ones he wasn't very aggressive toward.

"Let all cats old enough to lurk in the shadows gather around the shade rock for a clan meeting!" Dawnstar called. Darkkit watched Scarkit follow Eaglekit and Rockkit toward the Shade Rock, Darkkit's father, Rapidriver took his place below Dawnstar next to Foxstripe, the Medicine cat.

"This is one of the most important days in clan life, the making of new apprentices who will one day make great warriors. Eaglekit, Rockkit and Scarkit step forward." Eaglekit looked smug like normal as he stepped forward, Rockkit and Scarkit looked proud but more civilized than Eaglekit as they followed. Their father, Dawnstar, was looking at them with pride. "Scarkit from now until you receive your warrior name you will be known as Scarpaw, you mentor will be Talonclaw. Rockkit from now until you become a warrior you will be known as Rockpaw, your mentor will be Wildtuft. Finally Eaglekit from now until you receive you warrior name you will be known as Eaglepaw, your mentor will be Thornflower."

The three new apprentices greeted their mentors then went to sit beside their new denmates, Hollowpaw and Whitepaw. Everyone went to congratulate them then the three brothers followed the two older apprentices into the apprentices den to find a new place for their nests.

Darkkit cast a side glance at Mistkit before jumping on her and pinning her to the ground. She tried her hardest to free herself, and to be true it was hard for Darkkit to hold onto her, she was much smaller, and she was lean, able to slip though his grasp. Then someone bumped into his side, Scarpaw helped Mistkit up and faced Darkkit, "Two against one this seems fair." Darkkit growled before launching himself at Scarpaw.

Darkkit dived for his paws and used all his weight to knock Scarpaw over. Scarpaw seemed to have more trouble trying to stop laughing than he did fighting Darkkit, after Darkkit got Scarpaw to admit defeat Mistkit landed on Darkkit's back causing him to fall on top of Scarpaw.

They all spent the next couple minutes laughing before Talonclaw called Scarpaw for a tour of the territory with Eaglepaw, Rockpaw, Thornflower, and Wildtuft.

Suddenly after they left a large shadow was cast above Darkkit, he looked up to see a huge bird circling above him and Mistkit. "Eagle!" Darkkit heard Midnight's call, "To the sides of camp, then don't move!" Darkkit froze, he and Mistkit were in the middle of camp, exposed to the eagle.

Rapidriver jumped into the clearing and bounded over toward them, when he moved the eagle dove. Darkkit's father grabbed Darkkit and ran away toward the side of camp.

"No! Don't leave Mistkit!" Darkkit wailed, trying to get free from his father's grasp and get back to his little sister. Rapidriver ignored him and his struggles to free himself.

The eagle turned away from Darkkit and snatched up Mistkit. Darkkit felt his heart crack when he heard her small wail for the help that never came.

The eagle flew up toward the mountains, the small call of Mistkit faded along with the eagle as it headed into the clouds. Darkkit watched and waited for the eagle to show itself again or for him to wake up from this horrible nightmare. 

Darkkit felt his heart crack into a million pieces when he realized this was real and his sister was gone. Rapidriver set him down spoke, "Darkkit, I'm sorry about your sister but everything will be alright-" He was cut off and didn't speak again, Darkkit twirled around and slashed his claws across his father's muzzle and wailed, "This is your fault, I told you to get Mistkit! I wish you were dead instead of her!" Darkkit turned and ran into the nursery, tears streaming from his eyes, Nothing was alright, nothing will ever be alright again!

The ship song I chose for Mistkit and Darkkit was Fire in the Rain.