Chapter 29

Sorry Firestar.

I want to thank @readtoomuchlol for all the votes and support they have given me, so, thank you, my new friend.

________________________________________________________________________________

Darkspirit stumbled into camp, Dogchaser's body balancing on his back, the blood from him dripping down and staining his grey tabby pelt.

Hawkcry and Leafpaw came in behind him, dragging along the unconscious body of Rockfang. The tears that stained Leafpaw's face both hurt Darkspirit and made him burn with a bright passion to kill others.

'What is wrong with me?' Darkspirt thought to himself, his eyes fading a light amber but almost immediately turned back dark. 'I'm doing what I have to do.'

He rested the still body of Dogchaser in the clearing, his pelt still warm with life, yet very little of it flickered in his clouded yellow eyes.

Many cats trickled out of the dens, slowly moving towards the clearing, other cats who were outside turned their heads towards Darkspirit, confusion darkening their gazes.

Leafpaw bolted across the clearing, leaving her mentor with Rockfang and disappeared into the apprentices den. She reappeared a minute later with her brothers, both looking as confused as everyone else.

Then their gazes landed on their father, and they froze in their tracks, their eyes widening, and tears threatening to spill over the edge. They all turned away, as if they couldn't bear to see Dogchaser.

"No!" A sudden screech of distress came from the warriors den as Spotpelt emerged and rushed to her dead mate's body.

She collapsed by Dogchaser, tears running down her face. She nudged him multiple times, refusing to believe he was gone, until she admitted defeat, pressing her nose to Dogchaser's shoulder.

Treepaw and Leafpaw looked back, padding to their mother's side and leaning against her, pressing their smaller muzzles into their father's tabby pelt.

Bramblepaw was still standing where his siblings had left him. Tears were running down his face, but he was shaking with fury. His eyes blazed with anger and defiance.

Darkspirit was tempted to rush to the apprentice's side, but he turned away and marched towards Dawnstar's den. When he pushed his way into the den Dawnstar was laying in his nest, Foxstripe standing over him, pushing some herbs to him.

He knew Dawnstar was getting old, and all his kits were full grown now, but Darkspirit didn't think he needed help from the medicine cat yet.

The light brown tabby looked up, his eyes flickering with a slight bit of fear, "What is it?" Darkspirit's ear twitched, "You better go outside and see."

Dawnstar sighed and heaved himself to his paws while Darkspirit turned around and lead him out of his den. The Shadowclan leader froze in his tracks when he caught sight of the motionless body of Dogchaser.

Dawnstar trotted down to his former apprentice's side and glanced at Spotpelt, who didn't look up. Darkspirit padded to his side, "We were attacked by rogues, or at least, Rockfang and Dogchaser were."

He nodded, his shaken look still not leaving his face.

(Okay, this part is cute)

They spent the rest of the day grieving for the fallen warrior, while Darkspirit slipped out of camp as dusk arrived.

He padded along through the marsh, the soft breeze ruffling his fur. He stopped near the lake where he could see Night watching the stars.

Darkspirit dropped down next to her, letting out a sigh. She smiled and pulled him closer to her, purring softly. He smiled too, and his eyes locked onto the moon, almost feeling the calm stillness of the night.

"It's beautiful." Night said softly, and he realized she was also looking at the moon.

Darkspirit looked at her, "Yeah." He responded, grinning. Night glanced back towards him, smirking playfully, "Not you, the moon."

He chuckled slightly, feeling his face start to heat up, "I wasn't talking about me." Night's smirk faded and he could almost see the blush on her face.

Night leaned towards him, pressing her nose to his, "I love you." she said and curled up next to him, a smile still on her beautiful face.

Darkspirit felt a warm flame flicker in his cold heart and he curled up around her, and he whispered softly, "I love you too."

That was really sweet, I loved it, he isn't completely destroyed yet. Hope you liked it.