Chapter 12

She is beauty.

She is grace.

She'll claw my brother in the face.

________________________________________________________________________________

The dawn patrol burst into camp, their eyes blazing with anger, Midnight and Thornflower went straight to Dawnstar's den.

While they reported to Dawnstar, Eaglepaw bounded over to his brothers Rockpaw and Scarpaw who were in front of the apprentices den, he was practically radiating fury which was confusing his siblings.

Eaglepaw was one of the cats who was really strict about borders and wouldn't hesitate to attack someone who had crossed one without permission.

They had already believed him, but when he showed them the dead rabbit it had enraged them even more, of course Midnight had been reluctant to believe Skyclan had just randomly crossed the border without reason, but he couldn't ignore the evidence.

It had been one of the first times Darkpaw had ever seen his mentor Midnight angry, the tom was normally always calm and optimistic, not the greatest cat to be paired up with him for 6 moons.

Darkpaw stalked over to his friend, Scarpaw looked over at him, Rockpaw followed his gaze to Darkpaw then with a tail flick of greeting before he glanced towards his father's den underneath the branch.

Dawnstar slowly exited his den, followed by Midnight, Thornflower, Rapidriver, and Foxstripe. The deputy and medicine cat took their places directly underneath the branch while Dawnstar clawed his way up the tree and onto the branch.

All the Shadowclan cats started exiting their dens, sensing that a clan meeting was about to start. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath Highbranch for a clan meeting!"

It took only about 5 minutes for all the cats to gather in the clearing, Bramblekit and his siblings on the outskirts of the clearing, their eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"Cats of Shadowclan, Skyclan has been found hunting on our territory as if it was their own land." That got an uproar from the warriors, the most identified was from Talonclaw, Raventalon, and Crowwing.

"How dare they step on our territory!"

"Shadowclan isn't feared anymore!"

"We must teach all the clans we are the best and strongest clan!"

"Quiet!" Rapidriver howled, "Your leader is speaking, and we don't need a bunch of overreacting senior warriors interrupting him."

Dawnstar nodded his thanks to his deputy and turned back to clearing, "We will not react with a attack, instead we shall strengthen the scent markers. Now that a battle may be coming what better time is it to name some new warriors."

Scarpaw, Eaglepaw, and Rockpaw exchanged glances and looked at their mentors who nodded and smiled, "My sons, step forward."

"All of you have completed your warrior training and it is now time to receive your names, Eaglepaw, from now on you shall be known as Eagleflight, we honor your persistence and ambition and welcome you as a full warrior of Shadowclan." Dawnstar said while resting his muzzle on his oldest son.

Next he turned to Rockpaw, "From now on you shall be known as Rockfang, we honor your courage and skill and welcome you as a full warrior of Shadowclan." He mowed while doing the same thing he did to Eagleflight.

Last he turned to Darkpaw's friend, Scarpaw, he stood tall and stared into his father's eyes, "I am truly sorry that you had to deal the pain you had, you have come so far since you received your scar as a kit and your determination shall be rewarded, from now on you shall be known as Scarface. Do not let this name tear you down, for even if it does you shall come back stronger than before."

Dawnstar rested his muzzle on Scarface's head and he gave his father a respectful lick on his shoulder. He tensed as Dawnstar whispered something in his head but then relaxed and backed up to sit next to his siblings.

"Eagleflight! Rockfang! Scarface! Eagleflight! Rockfang! Scarface!" The clan called into the rising sun, Darkpaw called out Scarface's name, trying to be louder than everyone else, and his eyes had changed back to it's normal light amber.

Darkpaw bounded over the Scarface when Dawnstar announced that the meeting was over, "Congratulations Scarface!" His friend turned and looked at him, his eyes bright with something Darkpaw didn't recognize.

"Thanks, I didn't expect to get it now, at least if there was going to be a battle it would have been after that. I always thought I would have to get my warrior name maybe moons after my brothers because of my scar, but I guess I proved myself wrong." Scarface smiled, "Nonsense, if anything you could have gotten your warrior name moons before them, they just got lucky."

Scarface threw his head back in a bark of laughter, "Thanks, it means a lot coming from you." Darkpaw smiled, for once in a long time, he felt at peace, without anger burning deep inside him, free of the ties of hatred that had been holding him so close for so long.

It's always nice to write about when Darkpaw is happy, it warms my heart to see him peaceful like this.