[03]

[Chapter 03]

I examined the clothes that are well folded in the bed. It's a pair of navy blue cotton shirt and pants. Mariele said that she already put my other clothes to the cabinet next to the bed. I don't know where she get those clothes, I didn't have a single one when i went to the Auction.

I wear the clothes that Mariele prepared for me and went downstairs. Hinanap ko agad si Mariele but I can't see her anywhere.

"Hinahanap mo ba si Elle? Umalis siya may inutos lang ako saglit." Sabi sa akin ni Matilda habang naghihiwa ito sa kusina.

"Tara ang pangalan mo diba?" Sinagot ko siya ng tango habang pinagmamasdan ang paghihiwa niya.

"Ilang taon kana?" She asked. I look at her and tried to answer.

"T-twenty t-three." She nodded and smile.

"You're five years older that him." She said na agad kong ikinataka.

"The man who brings you here." She said na ikinanlaki ng mga mata ko. I'm five years older than him? Biglang natawa si Matilda.

"Biro lang, mas matanda lang siya sayo ng dalawang taon." She said dahilan para mapatango ako.

"If only you can see yourself, you definitely can be fooled so easily." Aniya habang natatawa. Hindi ko nalang pinansin ang sinabi nito at nanatili nalang manood sa ginagawa niya.

"W-where is h-he?" I tried so hard to speak even tho the pain keeps on strangling me. Kinuha ko ang basong tubig na ibinigay niya at ininom iyon.

"Sino?" Tanong niya. I drink the water and tried my best to speak again.

"H-hugo." I hadn't see him since i woke up. I can still remember his penetrating gaze. I noticed that Matilda stop on slicing the carrot for a second when she heard me saying his name. When she saw me looking at her with a pair of confused eyes, she immediately gave me a smile and continue to slice the carrot.

"Carver, his name is Carver." She said as she used the knife to grasp the pieces of the carrot and put it on a small bowl.

"C-carver." I repeat. But i know that i cleary heard the host of the Auction called him Hugo.

"Sold to Mr. Hugo!"

"Yup and don't call him Hugo, he might not like it." She said. I'm a little confused that a maid like her is speaking in English fluently. I don't intend to look down at maids but isn't it too confusing? Sabagay mayaman ang lalaking iyon at mukang hindi lang basta basta ang mga kasambahay niya. Wait did he buy them too? Yes maybe he did!

I should go and clean too. But everything is already clean. Matilda looks at me like she own the kitchen and I can't touch anything to help her out.

IT'S BEEN a week since i got in to this roof but until now I haven't seen even just a shadow of the owner. He never came home, it's not that I'm actually looking forward to see him. It's just that I don't know what to feel and if i face him, a stanger. I learned a lot about Matilda and Mariele. Kinupkop daw sila ng magulang ni Carver at pinalaki. Pinili nilang maging kasambahay ni Carver para masuklian ang tulong ng mga magulang nito. So he came from a kind family. But questions are keep on flowing in my thoughts whenever Mariele and Matilda mentioning his name. What is he like? Is he also like them? The people i ran away to? Do i need to run for my life again?

"What are you watching?" Naupo sa tabi ko si Matilda. I was holding the remote control of the tv.

"News." She nodded and place her eyes on the tv.

People are dying! The government must do everything to prevent this crisis to happen! These Farmers needs their money.

The man inside the tv said. He was holding a cardboard with the wors 'Help the Farmers!'