Runaways

Arielle's P.O.V

Now we're on the road to Fort Benning... BUT the RV comes to a stop AGAIN. I get off the bed and walk outside.

Shit, we've struck gold.

Loads of cars, full of supplies. Jackpot.

"I said it, didnt I say it? A thousand times dead in the water," Dale says.

"Problem Dale?" Shane asks.

I walk pass them to go search through a trunk of a nearby car.

"Just a small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope of-"

I open the trunk. Daryl notices and comes over to look through with me.

"Okay that was dumb," Dale finishes.

"There's a whole buncha stuff we can find," Daryl states.

"I can siphon more fuel from these cars for a start," T adds.

"Maybe some water," Glenn chimes, "or food."

"This is a graveyard. I don't know how I feel about this," mom says.

"Exactly mom it's a graveyard. They're dead, they don't need it. We do. May as well make use of it," I say and walk off.

"Alright, take a look around. Gather what you can y'all," I hear Shane say.

"You okay?"

I jump and turn to see Daryl behind me. He chuckles.

"Jesus christ, we needa put a bell on you or something," I mutter and shut the trunk, "yeah I'm good. Are you?" I add.

"Of course darlin', it's just some things you've been saying lately. It's-"

"Bitchy. The truth. Yeah, I know," I sigh,"I'm just-"

"Finally taking care of yourself for once. Not tryin' to please everyone else first?" he interjects.

"That's one way to put it I guess," I sigh and stare at the ground. He lifts up my chin.

"Ignore the looks ye get from your ma and Carol. They'll just needa open their eyes and see what ya seeing 'cause everyone else has," he says.

I smile and hug him. He hugs back instantly and I lift my head to look up at him.

"Ya know you're a lot smarter than ya look," I say with a smirk.

We pull apart.

"Oh yeah? Wha's that 'sposed to mean sweetheart," he questions with a playful glare.

"You always know what to say to make me happy," I kiss him on the cheek, "so thank you Daryl," I finish.

I turn back to search through the cars.

"Pfft, makeup, serious-"

I'm cut off and bowled into a trunk by someone. I drop my katana on the ground. They pull the trunk down but leave a slight gap.

It's a guy...

He puts his finger to his lips and that's when I hear groans, lots of them.

It's a damn herd of rotters.

We sit still, as the car bumps slightly,
for what seems like hours.

Suddenly we hear a scream. I kick the trunk open, jump out and pick up my katana and run towards the scream. I jump the rail with dad and the new guy right behind me.