Picture Perfect

Damon's P.O.V.

"It was nice seeing you.", I said to another teacher as she left the building. I sat back down next to Kiara.

"I'm sorry.", she whispered.

"Why sweetheart?"

"Because it makes you look bad that I have to go to therapy."

"Kiddo, if she was here, she was here for that too. There is absolutely no shame in getting help. Besides, she knows what me and your dad do and that comes with things like therapy and doctors visits and everything else. I couldn't care less how we look to the rest of the world as long as you are healthy and happy. It would look much worse if we were sitting at your funeral than if we're sitting at therapy once a week baby."

"I-I guess you're right.", she said softly, "I'm gonna go to the bathroom."

"Okay kid." She walked off as the young guy across from me out his phone down,

"I wish my parents had been that supportive."

"Same here. It's my main concern with my kids."

"How many?"

"Seven."

"Oh wow."

"You?" He shook his head,

"None. I'm only twenty three and nowhere near ready to have kids. But I'm raising my brother and he's fourteen." I nodded,

"I'm Damon."

"Jaxxson. Jaxx."

"Nice to meet you."

"So why are you guys here?"

"My husband and I foster kids. It comes with a lot of therapy visits. You?"

"I was a heroin addict four years ago. My brother needed me and the only thing that's really helped me is therapy."

"That's really good. I'm proud of you." He laughed a little,

"You barely know me." I shrugged,

"So? You told me about probably one of the hardest things you've been through and how you overcame it. Whether I know you or not, that's something anyone should be proud of." He smiled,

"Thanks."

~~~~~~~~

Ellie walked in the front door from work looking absolutely drained.

"You're an hour later than usual. Did something happen?", I asked. She glanced up at me and back down before handing me a slip of paper,

"I-I got a ticket. I'm sorry. I'll pay it, it was my fault." I laid it on the counter,

"I'll handle it baby. What for?"

"I-I think speeding. Or-Or my blinker. I don't really remember to be honest." I nodded,

"Okay. Why don't you go shower and get some rest? You look exhausted baby." She nodded a little, stepping forward and hugging me. It was less than ten seconds before she was crying. I sighed, "C'mon baby.", I said softly, leading her upstairs to her room. I put her in the bathroom, kissing her head, "Take a shower. I'm gonna go grab you something to eat and I'll be right back, okay?" She nodded.

~~~~

I went back to Ellie's room, maybe ten minutes later, finding her on her bed. I sat next to her, handing her a plate of pasta from dinner.

"Thanks.", she said softly, starting to eat.

"And you need to drink that water too. You're dehydrated and stressed." She nodded. "Wanna tell me why you had a bad night?"