Chapter 31: Anticipation

I pulled myself up from the forest floor with an angry growl and started running. Stiles is completely infuriating. One minute he says he wants to be "werewolf married", with me forever, he's in love with me. The next, he's horrified at the prospect of my being able to read his thoughts. He needed to make up his scatterbrained mind. Heaven forbid I know what he's thinking. I scoffed. The idea of Stiles being able to read my mind didn't bother me at all. So why did it bother him so much? What does he have to hide from me? I don't understand why he was so upset about it. I ran for awhile and my anger faded, but my suspicions grew. What wasn't he telling me? What didn't he want me to know?

I found my feet slowing, carrying me closer and closer to the woods outside Stiles house. I remembered the last thing he said, the words finally registering in my brain "this relationship is no longer a relationship," and it was starting to worry me. I grew desperate. As much as I was suspicious and frustrated about his not wanting me to read his thoughts... that didn't mean I was willing to lose him. Was he serious? Did he just leave me? I felt the panic well up inside me as I thought it. Oh god, what have I done? It had grown dark, I must have been running for a few hours. I looked across the lawn and swung myself up onto the roof, going to his window. Which he had firmly closed. Shit. I tested it to see if it was locked... it was. I frowned and hopped off of the roof, making my way around the house to the front door. I hated that he was making me knock on the door. No one made me do anything. My frown deepened as I raised a fist to pound aggressively on the wooden door.

I heard Stiles light footsteps coming down the stairs and continued to pound. Want me to knock on the door? Oh, I'll knock on the door alright. He ripped the door open with a nonchalant expression on his face.

"Can I help you?" He asked blandly. I glared at him without responding. It was silent for a moment, and then his face drew into a glare. "Still not using your words? Fine." He tried to slam the door closed, but I was faster and shoved my foot through the crack, blocking the door.

He slowly opened the door again, glowering angrily this time. "Look Derek, I refuse to be with someone who can't tell me what's wrong, or how they're feeling, or what they're thinking, or what the god dammed problem is. I won't play the game. So unless you're going to man up and start talking- get out," he snapped, pointing out the door.

Ugh. I hate this. I hate talking about feelings. Especially when Stiles could talk so easily. It was very frustrating. But he wasn't giving me a choice, and I couldn't leave. I gave him a fierce glare as I said, "Why is it... that you would have a problem with me... being able to read your mind?" I said it slowly, like I was talking to a child. I clinched my jaw and waited for his answer.

He narrowed his eyes at my tone. "I'm not stupid, Derek. So don't talk down to me. I just want you to tell me what's going on with you instead of expecting me to read your mind and taking off without a god damn word. Too much of my time has already been spent trying to decipher your moods. I refuse to waste anymore time. And in answer to your question... why wouldn't I?" He said, flailing his arms. I frowned.

"I wouldn't care if you could read my mind," I said instantly.

He raised his eyebrows at that. "Are you kidding me? Extremely private, cryptic, Derek Hale, wouldn't be bothered by something as intimate as mind reading?!" He demanded hotly.

I shrugged, "Not if it was you," I answered quietly. Because it was true.

His mouth fell open in shock. Apparently he wasn't expecting that. "I want to be intimate with you Stiles... in every way possible. Being able to read your thoughts would be an extraordinary gift. A privilege."

He blushed at my words and his eyes wandered around the room erratically as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Well when you put it like that..." he trailed off, grabbing my hand and hauling me up the stairs.