Chapter 34: Another damn rescue

I burst into the loft, frantically searching for Stiles. I could smell his blood. Liam and Isaac were sitting on the floor, heads in their hands. Lydia was pacing back and forth, her shoulders slumped. Mason had his hand on Liam's shoulder and was looking at me sadly. Scott and the others ran in behind me, breathing hard from the running. I could feel Stiles' anger, and pain. Where ever he is, he's in pain. Oh god.

"Where is he?" I demanded. "Where. Is. He."

"She took him," Isaac whined, tears running down his face.

"We- we couldn't stop them. She had two of those things with her, and we couldn't-," Liam said brokenly.

"Berserkers," Mason said quietly. Lydia's head snapped up to look at him. "I did some research after Mexico... I think they're berserkers."

My heart sank. They weren't lying then. Those things were nearly impossible to kill. They wouldn't have been able to beat them, three against two wasn't enough. I sighed as I made my way to Isaac, pulling him into my arms.

"It's okay, you tried your best," I said, comforting him. While my insides were ripping in two.

"You are the next Stiles, aren't you?" Liam said, a little pride in his voice as he looked at his best friend. "Research and all."

Lydia let a small smile break across the surface at that. But it only lasted a moment, her worried expression taking its place again.

"He let them take him," she said quietly. "To protect us. He just let them take him." Of course he did. Always the first to lay it all down. I sighed at his self sacrificing attitude.

"What are berserkers?" Scott asked, deadly calm. I glanced up to see his expression. There was rage there, burning beneath the surface. He looked dangerous. He looked like an alpha.

"They used to be people. But a spell was used to change them. They're more like animals. Unstoppable, robotic animals. Kate's controlling them, so she must have created them," Mason explained wearily. The kids as smart as Stiles, I thought. Liam had a point.

"He's right," I confirmed. "And they're incredibly hard to kill."

"It doesn't matter, we're going to get Stiles. Now." Scott said, and I nodded my agreement.

"She took him to get to you, Derek," Liam said angrily, like it was my fault. I glared at him, despite the fact that I knew it was true.

"Liam, Enough. Right now, all we need to be thinking about is getting Stiles back before she can hurt him," Scott said authoritatively. Liam growled, but didn't press the matter.

We left the loft and followed the scent back into the forest. We were able to follow it for about half a mile, the trail heading west, when we suddenly lost it. I froze. That's impossible. How could it just disappear?

"Scott, I can't smell them anymore," I said worriedly.

"Me neither," he said slowly. "How is that possible?"

"I don't know," I answered. "But we're going to have to split up and keep looking."

He nodded. Lydia, Isaac and Malia followed me and the rest went with Scott. But he paused before he went too far.

"Derek? Can you feel him? Or his emotions or anything? It's how we found you last time. Deaton made him concentrate and he could sense your emotions-," I cut Scott off with a curt nod, already catching on.

I closed my eyes and focused, hard. Pain and anger swelled in my chest again, and I knew they were coming from Stiles. They were stronger than before, so we must be closer.