Chapter 40: The puzzle clicks

The axe was inches from my ear when it sailed by me. I already had a few gashes in my skin from the mans attempts at killing me with the extremely sharp weapon, blood soaking my shirt. I could hear Stiles and Peter as their feet pounded against the floor to get to me, coming up behind the mouthless man. Sheriff Stilinski had shown up and now had his gun trained on the man.

"Don't, move," the sheriff demanded. The man stayed where he was, raising his hands above his head. Hmm, he must be human then, if he's willing to give up because of a gun.

Peter and Stiles skidded around the corner, just as Scott and Isaac came up behind Stilinski. Stiles was at my side immediately, and Peter- was heading straight for the man, who had dropped into a defensive stance.

"Peter! No!" I screamed, but he didn't appear to hear me.

Peter's teeth were barred, his claws raised and I tried to move quickly. He was going to kill him. I was too late as his teeth connected with the mans throat, ripping it out. The man fell to the ground lifelessly and the sheriff turned his gun on my uncle now.

"That man had surrendered," he said furiously.

"That man put an axe in my chest yesterday- I don't really care," Peter replied absently, wiping the blood from his mouth.

"Peter, that's not how we do things," Scott hissed.

"Well, it's how I do things," he spat.

"Dammit, Peter!" I said. Why couldn't he just not be insane for once?

"This, this right here is why we've got trust issues," Stiles put in, flailing his arms.

"Well we got what we came for anyway," Peter said mildly, making me roll my eyes.

"Nobody touch him until the rest of the deputies get here, that's evidence," the sheriff said. "You guys should probably get going. I'll call you when it's cleaned up, Stiles," he said as he addressed his son.

We all nodded and took our leave, calling Liam to tell him to meet us back at the loft again. When we all made it back Stiles paced the room absently, and I knew he would be caught up in his own mind until his father called, until he could read the evidence. Scott explained what happened to the girls, Liam and Mason, and I watched my mate as he moved back and forth across the room.

"Guys, I doubt Stiles' dad is going to have anything to tell us until tomorrow," Scott said to the pack. "It's already 11 o'clock at night. Let's all get some sleep and meet back here at around 6?"

I groaned, fucking Scott and his early rising non sense. "Make it 7, or I just might kill you all accidentally," I grumbled.

"He's serious," Stiles confirmed.

Scott rolled his eyes. "7 then."

                     *                         *                          *

"Up and at em princesses," Scott sang in his brightest voice.

Stiles and I groaned simultaneously, shoving our faces further into our pillows. I hated how happy Scott was in the morning.

"Stiles- your dad called. He's ready for us," Scott said tauntingly.

That worked it's magic. Stiles immediately jumped out of the bed- and crashed to the floor clumsily.

"I'm up- I'm up!" He demanded, scrambling up from the floor and pulling his clothes on. He hopped on one leg as he yanked his jeans up, heading for the hallway. Scott grinned after him affectionately, then looked back down at me.