18

Celaena had never wanted a horse. Arobynn had offered plenty, but each time, Celaena declined. The galloping hooves brought back horrible memories that made her shudder at the thought, and gave Celaena nightmares enough that Arobynn eventually realised it was hurting her, and stopped asking.

But that didn't stop her from visiting the stables and other owners' horses. Prowling as quietly as possible through the stable doors, Celaena made her way to a lovely light brown mare. If she was correct, Gregori's horse. There was too much hay to be impossibly silent, so she whinnied softly as Celaena approached.

Celaena had watched often enough to the stable boy murmuring the horse's name while grooming her. Kastanje was her name. And a perfect name indeed, with her silvery chestnut coat, and a golden leafy mane. Celaena debated for a good minute whether or not to braid the tail, but eventually decided against it.

With slow, deliberate movements, she eased closer to the horse. In the watery sunlight that filtered from the rafters, Celaena was glad for the cloak which concealed her weapons - the glints would have probably startled the horse.

Pushing back her hood, she reached into her cloak, and drew out the bag of candy, which had become a rather diminished amount since then. Kastanje's eyes were fixed on her now. With a coaxing tut, Celaena reached into the bag and drew out a round green mint. Ever so carefully, Celaena stepped closer, offering it between her two fingers. Kastanje stomped her hoof lightly and seemed to recoil.

Celaena whistled a merry tune, and, with achingly slow progress, the mare inched closer and closer. She was almost a hair's breadth from the mint, now starting to melt, when a piece of hay snapped from behind her.

She whirled. Gregori stalked towards her, anger simmering in his eyes. 'What. Do. You. Think. You. Were. Doing.' Each word was gritted out like dirt.

'Nuh. Thing.' Celaena replied.

'What's that in your hand?'

Celaena swiftly pocketed the paper bag, and popped the mint in her mouth. 'I don't know what you're talking about.' The hint of a smile toyed on her lips. Gregori growled in annoyance. Celaena tutted. In the few years she'd known him, they hadn't gotten any closer. 'You're just as bad as Sam.'

Gregori snarled. 'If I catch you around my horse again, you little bitch...' There was a flash of silver, then-

Celaena lowered her arm, the blade of the dagger hovering mere inches from her face. She smirked. And then, before Gregori had the time to react, she sent it flying back.

Gregori roared in pain as the dagger shot past, slicing his cheek as it went by. It struck the wood with a dull thud, and Kastanje neighed in alarm. Celaena hushed the horse, patting and stroking her neck. From the other side of the stable, she could see Gregori had a hand clasped to his face. Rivers of blood leaked from the wound. 'You were saying?' she asked sweetly.

'You bitch,' he hissed, his chest rising in uneven breaths.

She stalked over to him, and smiled. There was no warmth in it.

She slowly placed a finger on his chest. She let it travel upwards, trailing an invisible line higher and higher. Her eyes never left Gregori's face. Her nail brushed his sternum, each rib, then the collarbone, tracing it inwards towards his neck. Celaena leaned in, so close that they shared the same breath. So close that she could smell his blood.

'You're in no position to make threats,' she purred. 'Especially against me.' The hidden dagger ripped into his opposite cheek, and Gregori bellowed. Celaena placed the edge of the dagger against his lips, and he wisely fell silent. 'If I ever catch you calling me bitch again... I'll find plenty more places to scar you, Gregori,' she spat.

The smell of his blood and breath was still in her nostrils as she stalked away.

~

Celaena struck the dummy again and again with swift, unfaltering blows. Kick, jab, duck, repeat. Ben walked over from his mat to study her. 'I hear you and Gregori got into a little argument,' Ben remarked. 'He hasn't left his room since noon. Refused to let anyone see him.'

'I tried to feed his horse candy and he threw a dagger at my head. But I threw it back. He probably looks terrible now. And is in a foul mood.' She paused her practice to allow a grimace to slide over her face.

Ben chuckled. 'I see your apparent generosity backfired.'

'Save it,' she said dully.

Ben smiled lazily. 'Okay.'

~

He fell silent for a while, watching as she delivered the blows with pinpoint precision. The battered dummy wobbled back and forth.

From the moment Ben laid his eyes on the feisty girl, he knew she was indeed special. And when he saw her eyes... He had said nothing; knew the topic or mention pained her. So he hadn't asked. And watching her now - no other words could convey his feelings for the girl. She was a wonder, and remarkable, but Ben still needed to remind himself that she was only a child, however mature she appeared to be. She had lost everything at a heartbreakingly young age of eight.

Watching her lash out at the dummy, seeing the crease between her brows and the stone-hard focus she maintained... His heart seemed to swell.

So he damned the consequences as he dodged the lash aimed at the dummy as he went to her and wrapped her in a tight hug. Burying his lips into her head, he murmured, 'I love you.' As family, is what he didn't need to add.

For months he'd taught her - and a bond closer than teacher and student had grown.

She nodded, and leaned into Ben, despite the public gesture. And what she replied made him unable to help the joyous smile that tugged on the edges of his lips. 'I know. Me too.'

***

i find that when writing, you are able to feel the emotions a lot more than when reading that same passage. if you read fast/skim-read (comme moi), in doing so, you kinda lose the feelings a bit; if you read slow, or aloud, i think it's easier to feel those emotions like joy or melancholi...ness

(additional note after editing: my writing sucks lmaooo ben hugging her was so random but i have no idea where else to include it)