50

A week later, Celaena was fully active again. Archer hadn't questioned her disappearance, though, mortifyingly, she suspected he knew, sparing a few roguish glances at her from between fencing.

~

Like he always had, Arobynn would remind her again and again about her past, wielding it like a weapon, fueling her hatred for Adarlan. Then he would proceed to wear her out with countless drills and exercises until the only thing she could do was ask for water. He made her into what she was now. Though Celaena refused to admit it, there was always that nagging voice in the back of her mind. You're a monster.

~

Arobynn stalked up and down the hall, his boots clacking on the hard wooden floor. 'Loosen your grip, Harding!' Though Celaena didn't outright brag in front of the other assassins, it was impossible not to gloat whenever Arobynn would praise her for almost everything. 'Perfect, Celaena.' She didn't beam; her insides were jelly, like each time upon inspection. But her face warmed at his words, and she continued her series of manoeuvres.

Archer copied her movements beside her, rhythm never faltering. Steadily, he was progressing, and could actually last quite a while against her. Harding, another younger assassin (though still older than her) and Sam were the only others who were able to stand a full ten minutes with her. And maybe even beat her. Maybe.

That morning, Arobynn had tested their physical skills: first scaling the Keep wall, then a five kilometre run through Oakwald. And finally, push-ups. Until her arms were numb and aching. Five minutes in, and half the assassins had left. Celaena refused to be outdone though, and another few minutes later, only Sam and her remained. Her breathing was terribly jagged, and Sam's breathless pants could be heard from across the courtyard.

When Sam had finally collapsed, Celaena not a minute later, Arobynn had just whistled - a dismissal to Sam. 'You were outdone by a girl.' Upon seeing the mildly-satisfied gleam in Sam's eyes, he had said, 'Second place is only the name for the first loser.' Arobynn didn't sneer, though his grey eyes were hard. Sam walked away, lips curled in barely restrained anger. 'Well done, Celaena,' Arobynn had murmured into her hair.

She savoured his touch.

Arobynn clicked his tongue, and their blades were sheathed instantly. Another click, and they filed out of the training room smartly. 'Celaena. Sam.' She stopped, and turned. Sam paused by the door. They crossed their arms at exactly the same moment. Celaena didn't dare laugh, though Arobynn's lips twitched. 'Recently, one of our fellow assassins has gone... rogue, you may say. To say why is complicated; I only need you to bring him back. Alive. He goes by the name of Daegon.'

Sam protested instantly. 'Why do I need to work with her?' Arobynn paused feeding the details, and fixed him with such a look that Sam was withdrawing a full metre. After a long while, Arobynn finished. Celaena moistened her lips. 'I'll find him soon.' She didn't bother saying we. Sam's glowering rage dominated the room for a heartbeat, until Celaena's returning ire slammed it away. Arobynn growled slightly, and the atmosphere instantly subsided. 'You have till midnight. I don't want one cowardly bastard of an assassin roaming my streets.'

Two things, Celaena wanted to say. As nice as you are, you're still a bastard. And the streets don't belong to you. But she just tilted her head to the side, and blinked in conformation. Sam grunted. Then Arobynn swept a hand. 'You can use the window.'

On the rooftops, Celaena didn't look at Sam as she murmured, 'I'll search North to East. You search South to West. Start in the pubs.' 

Sam snarled, fully, now that Arobynn wasn't there. 'Don't tell me what to do.' 

Celaena shrugged, and slipped on her hood. Fingering the edge of a sharpened hunting knife, she smiled humourlessly. 'Whatever. We just need to find Daegon. I don't care what you do.'

'He could've left Rifthold by now.'

'I doubt it. Arobynn probably wouldn't have sent us if he thought otherwise. Goodbye.' And with that, Celaena leapt off the emerald-tiled roof.

~

She hadn't seen Sam for three hours. Three hours of useless, fruitless searching - she'd covered the entire North-West rather thoroughly. Perhaps Sam had better luck. Scaling a wall with ease, Celaena began to wander South.

It was eight o'clock, and the winter sun had set already. Camouflaged against the black silhouettes of the night, Celaena prowled along the rooftop ridges, every sense alert. She wasn't worried for Sam, no, but she was pretty-damn-desperate to find out how he was getting on.

Celaena needed to go no further. Crouched in the shadows of an alley, she could make out two figures. To her exasperation, the smaller one, Sam, was being cornered by the more-seasoned assassin. 

She stalked to the edge of the roof and dropped silently, blocking the exit of the road. Waiting to see how Sam would do, and to prevent Daegon from escaping. '-Arobynn sent you,' Daegon was saying, 'you pathetic scrap-'

Sam attacked.

Honestly, Celaena agreed with Daegon. Sam was fast, his blades flashing in almost-untraceable motion. But Daegon was older and experienced. He may have sensed Celaena, as he sent a dagger flying towards her neck.

She leaned to the side, and grabbed the hilt of the blade. Then leapt into the fray without another word.

~

Daegon was fast. But against two of the best assassins of the Guild? He wasn't sure how much longer he could hold out. If he said the boy was good, the girl was better. He'd never learnt her name. Alaina, was it? Daegon shook his head, and with a growl, lunged for the boy. His sword came slicing down, but in that moment as he whirled, he saw their weakness. Neither was willing to work together. Daegon allowed himself a brief grin before slamming his palm into the hand which gripped the sword, before kicking the boy. He went flying backward into the wall.

The girl seemed unfazed. She came at him, two long knives in hand. He looked at his own, marred and scratched from his use, and brought them above his head in a cross as she slammed one down. His calf barked in pain as the other sliced into the tendon. Collapsing to the ground, he rolled as she plunged the pommel of her knife down. But he didn't see the boy. Swift as an adder, he struck.

Red flashed, then-

Darkness.

~

Sam dusted his hands, though Daegon's blood seemed reluctant to fade.

Celaena growled. 'I had him.'

Sam curled his lip and sneered, 'Oh, really?'

With a small grunt, Celaena finished binding the man's limbs together, and slung him over her shoulders. She'd carried loads heavier than this. 'Let's get going.'

Halfway back, Sam stopped. Celaena turned to look at him, brows raised. Bored. 'Yes?'

Sam swallowed. 'I'm sorry- for the other day. I didn't mean-' She snorted, and walked on. Sam sprinted till he was level beside her. 

She ignored him.

'I'm seri-'

'Go away, Sam. I don't want your gods-damned apology.'

Something like hurt flickered within the depths of his brown eyes, before they shuttered. 'Very well.'

Celaena didn't care. She marched on, an icy coldness falling around them all.