52

Celaena toed the rug by the fireplace. She'd been woken from her nap, and dinner was bound to be soon, so there was no point in going back to sleep, was there? Gathering the book under her arm, she walked down the corridor, sucking in a hiss through her teeth as she met the cool marble floor.

~

Ben was reading when Celaena walked into the room. 'Don't you ever knock? I could've been undressing.'

She shrugged. 'I listened first. I just wanted to see you.'

Ben smiled, and closed the book. Then he spotted the volume under her arm. 'What are you reading?'

She peered at the front cover. 'Hickory Blue. I didn't know you read,' she added, jerking her chin to the book on his desk.

'Oh.' He scratched his head. 'Well, I do, sometimes. Books aren't entirely bad.' He could have sworn Celaena swooned from shock.

'They aren't entirely bad? What in the Wyrd is wrong with you? Books are brilliant! They take you to whole new realms and adventures where you can escape your current world. Books give you freedom. Or facts, if you're more interested in that.'

Ben stared at her outburst. Then, as soon as she had spoken, Celaena sat down on his bed and opened the book. A whole hour later, she still didn't move an inch.

Ben opened his book.

~

At dinner, Celaena helped herself to a large bowl of stew. She was, as usual, famished by the end of the day. Most assassins had stopped giving her that incredulous look, and didn't bat a single eyelid as she reached for her third round. Arobynn and Ben were in deep discussion with Tern about politics - a topic which bored her to death. So she turned to her left. Archer was eating quietly with quick, small bites. 'Tired?' she asked.

'You would be too, if you had to do a six kilometre run,' he groaned.

'Fair. I'll let you eat your food in peace.' Glancing up, she found Sam looking at her. 'Oh, and Archer?'

He paused. 'Yes?'

She paused. 'Enjoy your dinner.'

Sam didn't say anything, though as she stood and walked by, she glimpsed the look in his eyes. They softened, and a warmer, Sam look filled them. Celaena felt bad for treating him as such for the past few days. But she couldn't help it. Bending down momentarily when she passed, she lowered her lips to his ear and said, 'Don't come looking for me tomorrow.'

Sam furrowed his brows like Archer had. 'Why?'

'I'll find you sometime later.'

~

Almost three years had past, but Celaena would never forget this date. Yulemas, the grand feast at the castle, had passed not long ago. Little did Erilea know that the festivities would only last for so long.

She rummaged through her wardrobe till she found what she was looking for. Dressed in olive-green pants and a new forest-green tunic, Celaena tucked a pine cone, a treasure from Oakwald Forest, into her pocket. She brought only her sword with her, leaving the other weapons hanging on the wall. She wanted to feel the caressing wind and bitter cold; so she didn't bother with the cloak.

The muted roar of the Avery could be heard as she neared the road of rushing water. Celaena dismounted from her mare, patting her neck gently. Then she set off North up the river as far as she could go. Away from the City of Glass, and towards the scent of pine and snow.

~

Celaena sat on a boulder, gazing Northward to her homeland. Another set of chains bound her to her duties, to Arobynn. She couldn't leave. In her ninth year, Arobynn didn't let her out of his sight. Last year, he'd reluctantly agreed. This year, she didn't even ask whether or not she could come here.

A gentle breeze tinged with Spring ruffled her hair. The forest around her was quiet. Dull. Like the eyes of her parents on that winter's night. Celaena didn't even try to push away the memory. Today was about remembering her parents, her family, her homeland. Her father's smile. Her mother's eyes, a trait that was passed down to Celaena herself. Aedion's almost-insufferable smirk. Rumour had it that he was now in the army - working towards becoming a general for the Bane - 'One of the greatest legions in all Erilea,' Aedion had stated proudly then. He'd always wanted to follow in her father's footsteps. Rhoe Galathynius. Her dear, dead father.

Evalin Ashryver. Her mother. Gone, too.

Celaena's heart was heavy, filled with loss and despair. But there were no tears in her.

Oh, even the birds were silent. Celaena bathed in it.

She turned her head once more to the Land of Pine and Snow, savouring the breeze that floated down. Inhaling deeply once more, she turned her head from the North.

Celaena raised her head, and unleashed a cry.

~

Ben sat by his open window, the wind ruffling his hair and his tunic as he gazed Northward. Something Celaena didn't know - nor did Arobynn - was that he himself came from Terrasen. And he had no plans to let Arobynn ever find out.

A howl suddenly pierced through the night. It was faint, but Ben instantly sought out the source of the noise.

Again, the sound called. It was Celaena. It must have been. He smiled, resting his head on his arms, and didn't turn his head away from the North. Even when his eyes closed, he remained facing Terrasen.

~

She stopped, and seemed to deflate as she looked down.

A single tear ran down her cheek, but no more.