48

Celaena began training more and more often with Archer. One reason was because he was a good sparring partner, one of the other reasons- a reason she desperately refused to believe in- was that she liked him. Well, began liking him.

It was impossible not to, really. As much as she despised herself for the thoughts, another part of her revelled in the feeling as she basked in Archer's attention, giving him little nudges or practicing how to flutter her lashes or overly biting her lip - just as much as he enjoyed her attention.

Arobynn had trusted her not to go running off with a companion. So here she was, sat in a grassy clearing outskirts of Rifthold. There was two horses in the stable this morning, and Celaena had finally braved the thundering hooves, mastering the jolt of the canter and the trot - until she became one of the best riders in the Keep.

Archer was perched on the thick roots of an oak tree. She grinned lazily at him, basking in the heat of the sun; the freshness of the air which wasn't tainted by smoke or city stuffiness. He returned the smile, lacing his fingers together and placing them behind her head.

'Remind me why we're sat in the middle of a forest on a sunny Winter's day?'

She threw a handful of frozen mud at him. 'Do I need to remind you for everything?'

Archer grimaced at the specks of dirt littering his hair before closing his eyes. 'Yes.'

She slapped him lightly. 'Let's try and make the whole morning through without me needing to gut you,' she said with a pointed look at the belt of blades around her waist.

Though he probably didn't need them anyway with her there, Archer was armed with only a couple of daggers and a sword.

'Let's try,' he repeated, eyes still closed. Celaena spread her cloak out beneath her, and lay down. The wind teased knots into her hair, and rushed over her body, hoping to seek a way in to her body warmth. But she was wearing a thick jacket beneath it. The wind moved on with a whisper.

Celaena closed her eyes, and began to whisper to herself. It was a tale she'd been told, and still told herself many, many times. Archer stilled. Listening.

Once upon a time, in a land long since burned to ash, there lived a young princess who loved her kingdom...

~

When it was done, all was silent. She opened her eyes. A bony, gnarled hand peeked out from behind the tree. Little Folk. Celaena hadn't seen them in so long. She smiled, knowing that they were watching, but said no more.

'I didn't know you were such a storyteller,' Archer remarked.

Celaena blushed, and huffed into the icy air. 'It's the only one I know.'

The ride back to the Keep was done in comfortable silence. Celaena was deep in thought, as was Archer - though honestly, she thought that was something she'd never witness- unless he was thinking about women.

They galloped past the Avery. 'Isn't it beautiful?' Archer breathed. Frankly, she thought the entire opposite as she gazed at the torrent of rushing water. But she forced a look of awe, and said, 'I guess.' No. It was horrible - the nightmares it brought...

Gallopinghoovesrunfasterfasterrushingwater-

Celaena blinked furiously, and focused on the jolt of the saddle as they galloped back to the Keep. Don't dwell on the past. Celaena gripped the reins tighter.

They rode through the open gates to the Keep's stables. Celaena dismounted and handed the reins to the stable boy. 'Do you want to do some training?' she offered.

Archer glanced at her, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. 'You bet. Get ready to be knocked on your ass.'

~

Archer groaned, rubbing his ass as he heaved himself off the floor. 'Spoke too soon?' Celaena said, smirking at his indignity.

'Don't start,' he moaned.

Celaena pursed her lips together in amusement. 'Okay. No more sparring. We'll do techniques.' Without giving him a chance to protest, she placed a dagger in his palm. 'We covered the basics last time, so I'll teach you a few tricks.' She paused. 'Attack me.'

Archer blinked. 'What?'

'Just do it, you buffoon,' she growled. Archer gripped the knife tighter, and charged. Like a graceful buffoon. Celaena threw a punch, and Archer whirled, just like how she'd taught him.

But she had her knife ready and positioned. Archer didn't realise she what she'd planned till he finished his manoeuvre. He halted abruptly. Celaena grinned, and lowered the dagger. A few millimetres closer, and he'd have been impaled. Archer paled slightly. 'I have two arms,' was all she said.

~

A couple of hours later, and Archer had mastered the trick. It was nasty; she sometimes performed it whilst sparring. But it was useful. And worth using to see the surprise on her opponent's face. Archer threw down his knife. 'I'm done with that today.'

She already had the next weapons in hand.

'You hold the sword like this,' Celaena said.

~

'Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit,' Archer groaned. He was tired and sore, as per usual. Celaena was grinning at him, not a single hair out of place on her head as she held the tip of the rapier to his heart. 'Practice. And then maybe, just maybe, you'll have a chance at winning.'

Archer held his head in his hands. 'You say everyone loses to you.'

'Bah. Nonsense. They just don't try. But,' she said with a devilish smile, 'I am actually that good.'

Archer picked up his sword. 'Well? I'll practice, then.'

***

triple update cuz surprise surprise school starts in a week ಥ_ಥ