54

Rebellions were nothing new.

They'd been crushed once, yes, yet not entirely.

Deep in the slums of Rifthold, in the heart of the Underworld, and many places more, small, secret gatherings were held.

Conspiracy theories and smoking pipes were exchanged.

Three years ago, they'd say, Aelin Ashryver Galathynius went missing. Not died, not killed, but missing. There was talk of rebel groups allying, searching, searching for the lost heir of Terrasen. It sounded ridiculous. Impossible.

But Hunter Arden knew it wasn't.

Ashryver eyes, from legends old
Of brightest blue, ringed with gold

The proof. His mother had worked as a servant in the castle. She was the one who'd written the words in a book in the Royal Library, hearing the rumours of rebellions gathering. She'd written the words, strongly believing that Aelin Galathynius would rise to the throne, hoping that one day, there would be someone who would read the words, and perhaps, just perhaps, remember the Girl of Wildfire. It was a terrible idea, one that cost her life, and landed Hunter within the clutches of the Assassin's Guild.

And then, by some miracle, he'd seen her.

As Celaena Sardothien.

He'd heard that a rebel group was near to succeeding in capturing the princess. Then he'd heard that the man who'd been in charge of bringing her back had never returned. Hunter didn't need to listen to the gossip to confirm that. He'd seen the corpse. With a dagger in his throat.

Hunter knew that getting Aelin, or Celaena, back onto the throne was next to impossible.

Saying her name cost him his life.