46

Celaena strolled out of the room which housed the pianoforte, Archer in tow. He had almost begged her to let him listen. And so she took that opportunity to play her new piece. It was beautiful.

'Training?' Archer asked.

Celaena winked over her shoulder. 'In a minute. I just need to pay a quick visit to a... friend.' Not friend. But why not?

'Hey,' Celaena said to Sam's door.

He opened it, and raked his gaze over Archer, then Celaena herself. 'What do you want.'

She grinned, though not in a particularly lovely way. Brandishing the music sheets, she said, 'This is brilliant.' 

Sam raised a brow, though she could see he was pleased and embarrassed by the way he kept shuffling on his feet. Celaena looked over her shoulder to Archer, pacing up and down the corridor behind her. 'Where are you heading?' Sam asked.

'Training room.'

'Well... have fun with Archer,' Sam finally said, somewhat bitterly.

She stared. 'Are you jealous?'

He blinked, replying far too quickly. 'No.'

Celaena felt a wicked grin slide onto her face. 'You are.'

'No - why would I be? The great Celaena Sardothien has perfect Archer Finn.' As if that was a breaking point, the next few words slipped out all in a rush. 'I don't need to waste my time chasing after you just to get the attention of a bitch.'

The smile disappeared from her face, and she blinked. 'Don't you ruin this for me,' Celaena warned. She was in a perfectly good mood.

'For you!' Sam barked. 'It's always about you, isn't it?'

Archer had the good sense to take his leave silently.

Celaena took one step forwards. One step. Sam shifted, a slight, almost-invisible movement onto his haunches. 'If you cross that line,' he began.

But Celaena had already stepped past the doorway. The fight escalated quickly. 'No wonder your whore of a mother died. I see where all your traits came from,' Celaena hissed.

Oh, she knew what line she was treading upon. Sam snarled in fury. 'Don't you speak about my mother that way!'

Celaena cocked her head to the side. 'Your mother? Oh, yes, I remember now. Wasn't she the woman sold to a brothel madam?'

Sam's face went white with pure rage. 'That's it. I've had enough of your bullshit.'

They lunged at exactly the same moment, and the four blades formed a star between their bodies. Celaena shoved harder, and Sam gritted his teeth. Then she kicked him square in the stomach.

Sam flew backwards into the dresser. The music box teetered, and smashed onto the ground. Sam howled, 'Now looked what you've done!'

Celaena snarled. 'It was a waste of gold anyway.' She struck again, one dagger aiming high, the other curving low. Sam threw out his daggers, and the impact was jarring.

But she held on, shifting her weight ever so slightly so that the blades slipped free of their locked position. Sam lashed out with his foot, and she exhaled sharply, careening into the large bed behind her.

Sam pounced, daggers angled downwards. Celaena rolled, and his blades ripped through the covers into the mattress below, feathers flying into the air. She twisted again as he lunged, her daggers parrying his attack. Then she raised a knee and flipped them.