21

Rifthold was big. So big that, even within three years, there were still many places left to go. Some were forbidden by Arobynn. For instance, the Shadowmarket - where people traded illegal material and substances, also a wonderful supply for weapons and other arsenals. The Vaults - a large underground tavern where all sorts of dealing and drinks were exchanged. Not the most pleasant place, she'd heard. Then there were the Pits - another popular place in the slums where fighting took place, located in the Vaults, where people made bets, and where the more dodgy cronies and their even dodgier bosses went.

Some older assassins took trips there sometimes, Arobynn included, to either fight or meet clients. But Celaena was advised not to hang around in places where men targeted women who were stupid enough to go there, especially 'young ladies like her.' Celaena would hardly call herself a lady, and had bristled with indignation at the tone which implied she wasn't capable of handling such things. The solution was fairly simple to her: cut off their favourite possession. Ben had laughed at that, but Arobynn still refused to let her go.

Celaena sat on the roof of the Assassin's Keep, curled against the shade of a chimney. It was midday, and summer, and the stifling heat made her want to do nothing but bathe in it. So she had, for a while, at least, until her lips had chapped dry. Celaena picked idly at the flaking skin. She was certainly bored. Footsteps sounded behind her, and Celaena craned her neck to see Ben shuffling toward her. Whilst Celaena had no problem with heights, Ben wasn't entirely comfortable with the prospect of sitting on a roof edge. It was understandable. She scooted along to make space for Ben to sit beside her. 'So.' Ben broke the silence.

'So,' Celaena echoed.

He draped an arm round her shoulders. 'How long have you been here?'

'Since sunrise.'

'Sunrise?' Unlike Arobynn, Ben didn't bother to keep on a constant expressionless facade. His eyebrows were raised slightly, in shock or surprise, she couldn't tell.

Celaena slumped against him. 'I'm bored.'

'How can you say that? Rifthold is so large!'

She growled at his chest, and replied grumpily, 'I can't go anywhere without adult supervision. As if I need to be watched like a babe!' Celaena snorted before adding, 'Arobynn doesn't let me leave the Keep unless it's training or for missions.'

'I am rather positive you can go anywhere as long as it's in Rifthold,' Ben said. 'Arobynn trusts you won't go running off never to return.'

She wasn't so sure about that herself. 'What about you?' Celaena asked.

'I trust you with all my heart.'

Personally, Celaena thought Ben would make a wonderful father if he did. He was certainly too caring to be an assassin. Then again, Celaena had never seen Ben train, nor go on a mission, but he wasn't Arobynn's Second for nothing.

'Celaena.' A hand waved in front of her face, snapping her from her thoughts.

'Yes?'

Ben sighed. 'I said, is there any place you'd like to go?' He was also too polite. And had infinite patience.

'Celaena!' She jolted, head nearly colliding with Ben's chin. She shot him an apologetic look - but she had an answer.

'The Vaults.'

~

'The Vaults?' Arobynn raised an eyebrow. Even in Arobynn's study here, the heat swirled, and a trickle of sweat built on the back of her neck.

'Ben will come with me.'

'Your idea, or his?'

'Mine.' Then she added rather stubbornly, almost pleading, 'You can't say no to this.'

Arobynn twirled a gold coin with his fingers. 'No manners?'

Celaena grinned. 'You know I don't do those.'

He settled into his chair. 'Very well. Take care, my dear.'

Ben stiffened slightly at the last part, but Celaena just tugged in his sleeve, and with a final bow, led the way out the room. 'You allow that?' he demanded.

Celaena tutted. 'Now you're just being childish.' Celaena was almost positive that this was what Aelin would call Territorial Male Bullshit.

Ben snorted. As they paused on the threshold, Celaena nudged him and murmured, 'I know you have plenty of secrets to keep already, but don't tell Arobynn that I hate it when he calls me that.'