Chapter Thirty-three: Tension

(Reader's POV)

"What did he tell you?" I asked, a little eager to hear what he had to say.

Aizawa paused before sighing.

"It's confidential." he answered.

I sat up on my elbow now, becoming a little concerned.

"By that, do you mean he didn't tell you?" I asked.

Aizawa shook his head. My eyes widened as I felt the pit of my stomach sink.

"It's bad, isn't it?" I asked, my heart starting to race slightly, "Just at least tell me it's not bad."

Aizawa rubbed his eyes in frustration with his free hand. My inner panic was starting to grow into something almost unmanageable as he continued to dodge giving me an answer.

"I said it's confidential and that's all I'm saying for now. There's no need to get yourself worked up about this." he said as he looked at me.

"It's a little late for that." I said sitting up from the couch, "You can't even tell me it's not bad."

"If I give you an inch, you'll ask for a mile." he said, sitting up as well.

"Asking about my potential fate is asking for a mile?" I asked, insulted. I stood up and began to walk away from him, until I felt him tug at the capture weapon on my wrist.

"No, but asking me to break an agreement is." he said sternly as he stood, "I don't like having to keep information from you, but I agreed to keep the discussion between Nezu and me. If you had asked me to do so, I would've respected your wishes. I'm only asking that you respect his."

"If it involves me, I deserve to know!" I said, my frustration turning into defeat.

"I know you do," he said, "but I can't go back on that agreement. I'm sorry."

"It doesn't matter," I muttered, "I saw the look on his face when he mumbled about it in the faculty lounge." My voice began to shake, "And now you've been told to keep a tight lip. This isn't good. I know it isn't." 

I heard him sigh as I turned around. I held myself, trying to feel some security in a moment where I felt like I had little to none. I needed reassurance, and I couldn't even have that from someone who I thought would give it, gladly.

"For all you know, it could be good news." he said.

I scoffed.

"Like what?" I asked, calling his bluff. I had a feeling he was trying to throw me off in an effort to stop me from feeling upset. But a part of me hoped he was being truthful.

"Well...maybe...he figured out how you could stay." he somewhat stuttered out.

I blinked in surprise and turned to look at him. His eyes were facing downward, his hands in his pockets, as his foot tracing a small circling the floor. I've never seen him act this...awkward. I couldn't tell if he was joking or being honest.

"Are you serious?" I asked, genuinely wanting to know if he was being earnest.

He looked up at me and then back down to the floor.

"Maybe." he said.

A little smile started to grow until my cynicism reared its ugly face again, making it disappear almost as quickly as it had appeared.

"If that's the case, why did Nezu react the way he did at the faculty lounge?" I asked, trying to poke holes into his statement.

"Maybe it was because he was unsure if that was something you even wanted." he said, still looking down.