Chapter Fifty-Six: Dinner for Four?

(Reader's POV)

'Jesus, that was close. Way too close.' I thought to myself as I finished up my shower, 'Had I not overheard Present Mic at the door, I would've been done for.'

I turned off the faucet and wringed my hair out before grabbing a towel and stepping out of the shower.

As I began to dry myself off, I casually glanced at the mirror, only to do a double take in horror.
The bite mark Aizawa left on my neck earlier was very apparent and red. My fingers softly touched it and I winced, feeling a slight sting from the indents on my swollen skin.

"Fuck." I whispered to myself, becoming extremely worried about how noticeable it was. Were this any other instance, I'd be fine with being marked, but now couldn't have been a worse time to have this. If Nemuri or Hizashi saw it, I'd have nothing to say.
'Uhhhh, yeah. I got in a fight with a rabid pair of dentures!'
No, that's stupid.
'Oh, this? It's a new marketing strategy for whatever vampire series is popular here. Is Twilight a thing in this universe? Was it ever? Vampire Diaries? Hellsing Ultimate Abridged?'
NO, that's even more stupid!

Goddammit, what have I gotten myself into?

I quickly dried off the rest of myself and put the clothes on that Nemuri handed to me before trying to rub off the remained excess water in my hair with the other towel. Normally, I'd just wrap my hair up, but with the bite marks, that wasn't going to be an option. While I hated having damp hair, it was going to have to do in order to hide the evidence of what happened early this morning.
I checked myself in the mirror and carefully placed more hair around my neck, concealing it from view. I took a deep breath.

'Just act calm...' I thought to myself before opening the door.

"Hey hey!" shouted Hizashi from the living room, "Look who finally decided to join us!"

"Will you keep your voice down?" said Aizawa, who was in a chair, with Cloud sitting on his lap, next to the couch, "I do have neighbors, you know."

I smiled and walked more into the living room, where Nemuri patted on the cushion next to her, inviting me to sit.

"You can sit next to me, if you'd like!" she said cheerily.

"Oh, I'd like to stand for a bit if you don't mind. I've been laying down for so long, I wouldn't mind standing for awhile." I said gently. Though it was true, it wasn't the actual reason I wanted to stay standing. If I sat next to her, she might see the teeth marks on my neck. And she, of all people, would definitely see past any lie.

While visibly disappointed, Nemuri nodded.

"So how are you feeling?" she asked.

"Well," I said with a sigh, "I'm certainly better than how I was yesterday. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, to be honest."

"What exactly happened?" asked Hizashi, "I mean, when you were in...ya know, there?"

I took a slow breath in. I knew I would need to fill everyone in as to what happened in my world, but revisiting it made me feel uneasy and anxious. I wish I could pretend it didn't happen, truth be told. Aizawa must've seen the discomfort on my face, because he began to speak before I could.

"I don't think we should-" he started to say, trying to defend me, but I lifted a hand up to stop him.

"It's fine." I interrupted, giving him a somewhat reassuring look, "I'll try my best to explain."

I described everything I could, from the moment my heart started to go haywire, to returning to the infirmary before passing out again, and then the machine learning algorithm test to prove I was still in there.
All of them sat and listened patiently as I told them everything I could remember.