Chapter Fifty-One: I Love Her

(Aizawa's POV)

The room was completely silent. The only sound I could hear was the soft breaths of Doe as she laid unconscious in my arms. Everything else was a blur. I was still in shock with what had just happened, and my brain tried desperately to process all the information that Doe gave before she passed out.

Her heart was failing.
Because of us.
Because of what we had done.
She was dying.
And it was our fault.

Those statements ran though my head over and over, each time making my heart sink lower. Fuck. This went so horribly wrong, and worse - we weren't prepared for it. For having a room full of pros, none of us were able to keep her safe in this moment. This was our failing.
I slowly tilted and supported her head up and held her soft cheek in my hand. Seeing her like this made my heart sink into a bottomless pit. Images of her smiling at me so lovingly flashed in my head, only to then be interrupted by the sight of her looking terrified. Was that the last memory I was going to have of her now? Would I ever see her smile at me like that again? Hear her laugh? Feel her embrace? Her warmth? Her touch? I couldn't help but feel like I had lost any chance of that again.

"Let's get her back on the bed." I heard Nemuri say rather sheepishly. As I saw her hand approach Doe, I immediately and rather instinctively held onto to her tighter, flinching her away from anyone else, "Aizawa, please. I only want to help." she said gently, "Let's at least make her comfortable."

Before she could come near her again, I quickly scooped Doe up into my arms and softly laid her back on the bed. As overly defensive as that was, I didn't trust anyone with her after what happened. I stood next to her, my eyes not leaving her sight as I felt helpless and angry at this situation.

"Nemuri, Hizashi," I heard Nezu say, "Your services are no longer needed for today. You can go."

"But-!" Hizashi began to say but was quickly interrupted.

"We will keep you informed on the situation as it unfolds." Nezu said, almost robotically.

There was a moment of silence before I heard them slowly making their way out of the room. I felt Hizashi's hand touch my shoulder, holding it there and giving it a slight grip for a second before he let go and left.

"Would you like me to leave as well?" I heard Recovery Girl ask softly.

"I'll leave that up to you, Shuzenji." Nezu responded, "Though, given the circumstances, I doubt we'll need your quirk again at this point in time."

She hummed.

"I'll be in my office. Should things change, let me know right away." I heard her say as she made her way out of the infirmary.

It was once again quiet in the room. So much so that you could easily hear a pin drop. Nezu didn't utter a word as I saw him in my peripheral vision sit down in a chair, sighing. I watched Doe for a minute longer, her chest rising and falling in a slow cadence, before slumping into a chair right next to her. I rubbed my tired eyes for a moment, trying to figure out what my next move was going to be, or if there was even a thing I could do at this point.

"Please tell me you have a plan." I said loud enough for Nezu to hear, as I ran my hand through my hair.

There was a pause and I looked over at him. I hadn't seen him look this unsure in a long time. Normally, he'd be quick to move on to the next round of tests or experiments, but now he was just sitting there looking absolutely dumbfounded.

"At this moment, no. All we can do for her is wait, I'm afraid." he said, his voice filled with shame and his eyes looking at the floor, "I'm truly sorry. I am. I didn't anticipate such a negative response."