Chapter 1: Six Shadows

18 years since the Herald of Wind...

Riesner

"Grow up, will you." I shove away Ollie. "It's not like that between Sera and I." My shadows and I have been roaming the streets of my kingdom. Seraphina is coming to visit tomorrow and I just broke the news to them. Relentlessly they tease me over my not-so-subtle lifelong crush on her. It was fine if they did it though, ever since I was little, the six of us have been inseparable; Hollis, Ollivander, Warren, Lonan, Ignacio, and I.

"And when is it going to be like that? She is twenty now," Lonan teases. "I think it's finally time after years of you drooling at her." Loana runs his hands through his shoulder-length brown hair. He leans against the wall, arms crossed, and looking like he's up to no good. Like always.

"I would, but..." I sigh heavily, "the only thing in my way is her father and it's always been like that. She practically lives under lockdown. I've been fine messing around with other girls in this kingdom since I was fifteen, but with Sera, I have to play it safe... or find a way to get her alone." I smirk and kick up cobblestones on the pathway.

"Does she know you've been messing around?" Hollis raises an eyebrow. "I mean you two have practically had an arranged marriage since she was born. She's probably even saving herself for you. She'll be hurt to find out--"

I scoff, "Do you see how irresistible she is? Do you think someone is bewitching as that would be able to remain untouched? I doubt she is. Sera knows what she means to me and always has- the other girls don't matter, but we never talk about other lovers when we are together." I shake my head and clench my fists thinking about my baby coming in contact with other men. Filth.

"If she refuses to have sex with you, what makes you think she's having sex with other guys?" Ollie tilts his head. "She's a prude."

"Can we stop talking about my sister," Ignacio cringes. "And my sister isn't like that. She doesn't talk to many guys, so I doubt she's slept with anyone. Dad watches her like a hawk."

"That you know of. I doubt Dela knows of all my affairs." I roll my eyes and swat away any chance that she would be solely for me. "And don't you dare call her a prude," I snap, squinting my eyes and push Ollie again, "that's too far."

"And I doubt you know of hers," Warren smiles largely. He's the oldest in our group. His super strength is the reason for his size, he's had muscles and abs since he was fourteen. He's my father's trusted hand's son, so I grew up with him, looking up to him until I surpassed him in height at thirteen. I'm still the tallest and biggest of the group.

I groan in unison with Hollis, "Gross, Warren. Keep it in your pants."

Ignacio high fives Warren and the two of them laugh hysterically.

We turn the corner and Dela is walking with our younger sister, Wynnie. "What are you idiots doing?" Dela puts her hand on her hips. Her dark raven-colored hair flows down her shoulders and reaches her waist. Her eyes are an almost blinding blue color. I've had to deal with people crushing on my sister my whole life, it's exhausting.

"What's it to you?" I spit over at the ground and mimic her posture placing my hands casually at my hips in a standoff. Dela and I always were vying for Dad's attention so we always face-off, but I secretly enjoyed it- not that I would ever tell her that.

"Don't flatter yourself, Riesner," she rolls her eyes. "I couldn't care less about what vulgar things you're probably up to." Her eyes go to Lonan. "Hello, Lonan."

"Judging by what Warren just alluded to, maybe you're the vulgar one." I smile over at Warren. Payback is a bitch.

"And what is it Warren alluded to you?" Dela angrily takes a step toward him, her eyes sending daggers.