Chapter 52: Bone-chilling

Evolet

The Dark Kingdom is magnificent, with its historic gothic architecture and its fresh air full of an ancient power which causes the blood coursing through my veins to thrum. After saving the newest Rastiften addition, I decided to stay awhile and hide out in their kingdom. After all, I need a break from Ferris and Arden. I can't bear to go back to them potentially being there. I finally was able to lay down at night and get restful sleep without someone having to guard my door- so I decided to stay here for the time being.

It has been two weeks and every day I start by a walk through the rose garden with my bare feet and then I slip on sandals until I get to a mossy patch in the forest where I take off my sandals again and sit down cross-legged to do my meditation on the soft bed on the forest floor. My meditation keeps my power in check and it aligns my soul to my body. Without meditation, it would be incredibly hard for me to harness my power since when I breathe in the air I'm actually pulling back the soul to the body. After all of that fun stuff, I meet up with Harlow for lunch. Today, we meet in the kitchen for blueberry tarts.

"Hey," I give her a soft smile and toss my thick braid over my shoulder. Harlow and I have completely different athletics, but our friendship just works, regardless of what people may see surface level and regardless of our status with the Bard twins.

"Long time no see," Harlow smiles.

I tip my head back and laugh freely, "Yeah, yesterday does feel like a long time. Doesn't it?" I take a seat on the open bench across from her. "How's your niece doing?" I ask politely. I know something happened between Harlow and her eldest sister, but I don't know what exactly and I don't care for gossip or prying.

"I've only seen her a handful of times but from what my parents tell me she's doing good and gaining weight steadily," Harlow nods. "What have you been up to at home? It's been awhile since we've wrecked havoc in the Bard Kingdom."

"Arden and I aren't still together, as I'm sure you know. I probably won't be back there for a while." I shrug and try to brush it off.

"Yeah, Lachlan told me that Arden's been...not himself," she frowns. She has the same worry lines as her mother does.

I roll my eyes and attempt to brush off the thoughts of Arden sleeping his way through his kingdom now. "He isn't himself and I want nothing to do with a person like that...is there anything else Lachlan has said about him? Did anything happen with Arden the last time you visited? Arden appeared at my door the other day." I am trying not to show that I care and come off more as the curious ex, I think I'm pulling it off.

"Uhh," she scratches the back of her neck. "I mean Arden's been going out every night, sleeping around, drinking, taking tonics. I know his father had to cover up something but I don't know what."

"He killed someone." I state plainly and shake my head. My fists clench completely ruining the tart in my hands. It crumbles down from my jam stained hands to fall on a porcelain plate.

"We don't know that," she gives me a sympathetic look and sighs.

I wipe off my hands on a nearby cloth. "You're lucky Lachlan swept you off your feet and not Arden." I give her a pointed look back and sigh.

Harlow rubs her forehead. "Listen Evolet, Lachlan and I have our problems too. At times it seemed like we wouldn't get past what we were fighting over but we did."

"I don't even want to get past it. I just want to be over him." I pick up a blueberry tart and begin to munch on it in small bites.

Harlow crosses her arms and sits back in her seat. "You don't want to get back together with him?" She raises an eyebrow.