Chapter 53: Daddy Issues

Draven

Sonnett is a month old and still the most fragile thing I've ever held in my own arms. Being a father has changed me more than I ever would've expected. I always knew this would be my life and I tried to fight it, but there's nothing to fight now that it's here. And I really don't want to fight it. I want to be the best father I can to this baby. I owe her everything. I owe her safety and happiness. Since the moment she was born I have been giving her all of my love and my heart. There is no other person I love more than my little creation.

My dear moonbeam, with my eyes and a full head of hair of silvery white. I have the day off with her and Celeste has decided to come over to finally see the baby.

When the doorbell rings I bring Sonnett with me, unable to leave her even for a moment's time. I greet Celeste and she immediately stares at the baby in my arms. "She's so beautiful, Dravey." Celeste gives me a weak smile and comforts herself by rubbing her bulging stomach.

I thank her and lead her to the nursery. Celeste sits down in the padded wooden rocking chair. I place one tender kiss on Sonnett's little forehead and position her in Celeste's arms properly. Sonnett's tiny body is rested on top of Celeste's growing baby bump. I grab a stool and sit beside her, staring at my beautiful daughter the entire time. I could picture Celeste with a baby of her own just like this with Cass, the thought makes me even happier for the two of them.

The floorboard creaks and standing in the threshold of the nursery is Dela, her eyes on Celeste and Sonnett. "What is going on?"

"I finally convinced Celeste to stop by and see our baby." I smile back at Dela.

"Without me here?" She whispers in a low lethal tone of voice.

My smile drops. "Uh, Dela, don't freak-" I start but am interrupted.

Celeste is frozen in places and Sonnett's is making noises in her arms. Celeste is too scared to tend to her.

Dela storms over and takes the baby into her arms. "Don't you dare tell me not to freak out," she hisses at me. "I am Sonnett's mother and I have a right to know who is seeing her or holding her."

"It wasn't a secret." I furrow my eyebrows and stand from the stool. "Celeste is your sister-in-law; it's not like she's some stranger off the street. Sonnett wasn't in any harm."

"It's not right," she growls, still talking low because of the baby she is rocking in her arms. "It's not right for her to be here without me."

"I'm going to go now." Celeste uses the arm rests of the chair to stand and weakly smiles over at both of us. "See you soon." She scurries out of the room and shows herself out of the house.

"Why isn't it right, Dela?" I match her tone in a low voice.

"I saw the way she was looking at Sonnett," Dela furrows her eyebrows. "It isn't right for her to be with the baby so much. At any time she could just...she could just change her mind!"

I sigh suddenly realizing what this is about. "You're Sonnett's mother. Celeste is nothing but her aunt." I speak calmly.

"Is that truly how you see it? Tell me the truth, do you look at Sonnett and see her? I know you don't see me." Her voice cracks and she holds the baby closer and tighter to her body.

"It is truly how I see it. I look at our baby and I see myself." I cross my arms over my chest.

"That's not how it should be," Dela cries. "You should see both of us and it isn't fair. It isn't fair that everytime I look at my daughter I think of Celeste," she sniffles. "I think of you fucking her."