Chapter 50: Wide Open

Evolet

Months have since passed and no sight or even word from Arden. I spent most of my days wondering whether or not it all really happened, but then Ferris comes to visit and reality comes spiraling into me from his affection. The past two years with Arden were real and were not some realistic dream...unfortunately. It all happened and now I'm without.

I dress for the day with my hair in intricate braids done by Paislee and helped in place with frost. The white encrusting the braids matches a billowing dress of ivory I have on today. With every stretch and stride of my legs the dress widens. When I run, it's a cloud of my entire bottom half, which his why I absolutely adore this classic piece of my collection.

I return from my morning in the forest and reach the front gates. A carriage is pulling up at the front of the palace. This time I make sure to check for the details before jumping to conclusions; of course, there is a string of ivy wrapped around the sides. I know just who to expect.

I take off running before the man contained inside can hop out to greet me as I already know he'll be vying for my attention. I stretch my legs as far as they will go as I sprint towards the labyrinth of hedges. My dress surrounds me as I drop my head to see the flow of white beneath me. The dress expands and balloons out as it catches the wind.

With a glance over my shoulder, I see him gaining on me. The sun radiates off of his brown locks displaying the red undertones brought out by the sun. I push harder and exert my legs and lungs to go faster. I've never ran so fast to escape anyone in my entire days in this realm.

I enter the maze and weave through the twists and turns. Branches untrimmed scratch against the sides of my arms as my feet thud over snapped twigs. I can hear his panting filling my ears taking me back to summers ago at this time, the time we spent rolling in the grass together. His sweet fingers caressing my face and brushing back the frizzy flyaways. Another turn leads me to a ling straight patch of grass and I try to push past the burning sensation in my lungs.

He catches me and sends us both spinning out of control into the soft kept grass. He is toppled over me when we come to a stop. His arms are fastened around me pinning mine to my sides. He smirks down at me with those devious eyes of his, "Were you trying to get away from me?"

I struggle beneath him and try to wiggle my way to an escape. A frustrated groan escapes my lips and he laughs. I feel a light poke into my leg and then it disappears. Pink colors the apples of my face. "I-uh...yes! Yes," I admit breathlessly, "I was trying to avoid you."

"There's no way of escaping your destiny." His grin is bright and his teeth are sparking. His face inches from mine makes me take even shallower breaths. Chills run throughout my body sporadically.

I take a couple deep breaths facing away from him and staring into the many branches and leaves of the endless hedge. "I don't believe you are my destiny." I speak slowly and turn my head at the same rate so by the end I'm gazing into his eyes.

"Really?" He smirks. "Well, I'm sure of it. I've already died for you." His confidence is unwavering and his arms remain wrapped around me. There is a feeling of safety washing over me I wish would go away. I want nothing to do with men or love or romance, especially not with Ferris or Arden.

I shake my head and am surprised to feel Paislee's braids have held up so well despite the dash and tumble they endured. "You didn't die willingly." I roll my eyes refusing to feed into his charm.

"I would have fought him for you," he props himself up by his arms and I finally have them free and place my hands on his chest. "Arden's eyes are an unfair advantage."