Chapter 3: Witness

Evolet

Not too long after war and havoc plagued the northern kingdom, my father- General Steele, took his place upon the throne leading the people who resided there. The stories of the poor massacred King Tyden Harking and Queen Elianna Harking filled my ears as I grew up. I was only three when this happened and I remember the day the Queen's brother, King Bren, came and asked my father to take over. That was fourteen years ago now.

My family and I were comfortable in our new castle. I have eight sisters and one brother. My father had child after child until he finally had his boy. First came my sister, Noelani, she's twenty one now and since she is the oldest she takes care of and mothers all of us. She is the responsible one. Next came Rayna and Laurel who are twenty- they aren't twins, but close like twins would be. I could always count on them to tease any of us. Next came the triplets; Embry, Bex, and Sunny. The triplets all are very different, but very close. Bex is the tomboy of the three, Embry is the feisty one, and Sunny is the most peaceful one by far- the sunny side of the triplets. Next comes Zuri, eightteen, since her power is talking to animals she always comes to me when one of her many animals passes away. After that is me and Paislee, both of us seventeen, but I'm older. Paislee is the ice princess which made her a little cold or standoffish, although the color she wore almost all of the time was green. Last is Gabriel. He is the beloved boy and my father's favorite since he is the only son and has the power of the Steele line which is manipulating metals. My sisters and I all got our powers from our mothers- all different just as our mothers were all different women. Luckily, we all grew up together in the castle so all of my half-siblings are as close as real ones are.

I started each day as I always did, picking out any outfit that is free and flowy with natural fabrics. I often found myself wearing an earth tone or funky pattern. Anything comfortable and harmonious for my morning nature walk would do. Today I went with a flowing, off-the-shoulder white dress and placed my long, wavy light brown hair in a loose braid. The light sweeping in my room made my hazel eyes pop in the mirror- since the sun was out today I knew a few more freckles would pop up on my face tomorrow.

I find myself on my usual walk around the castle, waving to all of the guards as I pass and head into the forest. I know they don't understand me and find me strange, just as most people do. I found comfort in nature and my experiences with people outside of my family have always been hit or miss. I keep my power a secret now because in the past people have changed how they treat me. They often think of me as a freak with too much power or they want to die just for me to bring them back, as if I would make up a power like mine. I sat on a log by the side of a meandering stream and closed my eyes to get myself on the same wavelength as the circulation of nature and the natural world around me.

"Evolet?" A voice interrupts my mediation. I open my eyes to find Sunny and Zuri in front of me.

"Hi." I pat the log for them to sit beside me. "What are you two doing out here?"

"Enjoying this warm day," Sunny lifts her hands to the sky and closes her eyes.

"I wanted to talk to the birds." Zuri smiles and looks up at the trees around us.

"What are the birds saying, Zu?" Sunny asks.

"They are just as happy as we are that the sun is finally out. They say it must be almost summer." Zuri holds out her hand and a bird flies over to perch on it.

"I long for summer," Sunny sighs. "How are you, Evolet?"

"I'm feeling very relaxed today. A couple weird looks from the guards, but what can I expect? I think they might have met my mom the other day- she rolled into town." I roll my eyes. My mom is a true nomad- not once in her life has she settled down and she probably never is going to.