Chapter 36: Manhood

Arden

Staring at my girlfriend kissing my cousin, I walk away baffled. My own cousin and girlfriend. I speed up as I hear Evolet behind me, I don't want to talk to her. The last thing I want to do is talk to her. Two fucking years of my life with her for her to fucking cheat on me. I don't want to hear it. I'm so angry I can feel myself getting overwhelmed, I close my eyes. I feel darkness swirl inside of me, slowly becoming the person I swore I would never become. I storm out of the castle doors, across the front gardens and into the village. My long strides keep me at a distance from Evolet. I hear someone calling her name, it's Ferris, he is running after her.

"Fuck you!" I turn around and explode with anger. I point my finger at my cousin. "Especially fuck you."

"Arden, buddy, you couldn't even fathom the history that lies between Evolet and I. This is not to hurt you." Ferris says calmly.

"You're serious right?" A chuckle resonantes from the back of my throat. "History? I've been with Evolet for two years, what history could you possibly have with her that even matters right now."

"So you didn't tell him?" Ferris yells at Evolet.

"Ardy," Evolet whispers. "I should have told you about being with Ferris in the past, but it doesn't even matter now. I want to be with you."

"No, it doesn't fucking matter now because you are mine," I growl. "This bastard shouldn't even be looking your way."

"Cousin!" Ferris says appalled. "I fucked her first before you even knew who she was."

"She didn't even enjoy it," I snort. "Probably because you have nothing to work with."

"It was her first time!" Ferris protests and turns to Evolet, "Next time will be better." He reaches out for her.

"There's not going to be a next time," I punch him in the nose. I'm seething with rage. A group of villagers rush to us causing even more of a ruckus.

"Arden!" Evolet's eyes grow wide and she rushes forward to assist Ferris.

Ferris is clutching his nose, tipping his head back with blood dripping down his face. "I get why you're mad, Arden, but Evolet and I have unfinished business."

"Like kissing her? Yeah, well take your unfinished business up with me, because she is done with you," I growl.

"Are you mad at me kissing her or mad that she kissed me back?" Ferris yells and Evolet shoves him away from her.

"You're an asshole!" Evolet screams.

With the narrowing of my eyes, Ferris falls to the ground. My eyes widen in shock. Did I just...?

Evolet looks at me and then back at the body of my cousin. "Ferris!" She says with tears spilling down her face. Her hands are shaking as she places them on his chest and peers up at the sky. With her chin tilted up and her eyes close she inhales deeply. A moment later Ferris's chest is rising and falling with shallow breaths.

"I can't believe you." Evolet says shaking, not even able to glance at me.

My face is stoic as I look at my resurrected cousin. I feel cold and unfeeling. "Next time he wants to bring you up, you won't be there to save him," I say to Evolet. I had no control of my powers, I didn't mean to kill him. I'm not a murderer, the thought of losing control of myself like I just did has scared me to the point of constant anxiety and fear; but now I don't care. I'm tired of being a frightened little boy. No more. I refuse to feel helpless again.

Evolet leans over and sobs into her hands. She rocks back and forth on her knees. Her tears drop freely and slide down her arms. "I-I don't know who you are anymore." Evolet chokes out.