Chapter 49: Home

Draven

I wake up at five in the morning with sweat beading on my forehead from another nightmare plaguing me. Dela doesn't know about it, but I've had dreams every night for the past two weeks. I feel it deep in my bones that they're from the baby as if it's trying to communicate with me, as wild as it sounds. They always begin the same way; I'm in a dark place that glows red like flesh to a flashlight. I'm floating there weightlessly until an animalistic cry comes from a dark corner of the space. I feel alarming distress and I don't know what to attribute the sound to. Is it my presence and discomfort? Is it something the creature is going through? Is it the baby and how the baby is feeling? I swing my feet off the side of the bed and onto the cool wood of the floor and wipe away the sweat dripping down my face.

Since this is a regular occurrence, I get changed in emerald workout gear and head down to the training room to spar. When I get there, Scout is already waiting for me. The past fourteen days I have been knocking on his door in the guard quarters, but now he knows to expect me. We usually spar until nine, then I retrieve Dela's breakfast and bring it up to her in bed.

"You're getting slower. Is that ring bringing you down? Or maybe it's the new crown on your head, Prince?" Scout taunts as he strikes my side.

I lean towards the side of the blow and hop to the balls of my feet, ready to dodge his next attack. I grit my teeth and hiss, "Maybe it's me still recovering from the lethal arrow." It's totally not though, that was two months ago.

Scout rolls his eyes and strikes again, this time his eyes give away the location and I'm able to block it. "I just think you're getting old and making up excuses like my father."

"We're the same age!" I laugh and spin around so I'm at his back. I loop my leg around his to trip him and send him crashing to the floor. On his knees I place a hand on the side of his neck to let him know I just won. "I could choke you out in seconds. Maybe focus on less talk." A triumphant smirk spreads across my face and the nightmares I've been having leave my thoughts completely.

Scout scoffs in response and shakes his head. He jumps to his feet and smiles, "what are you waiting for? Let's go again." He starts to circle the mat and I follow in my starting stance.

Scout and I go a couple more rounds of sparring before I check my watch and realize Dela's break is ready. "Have to go grab the first meal for the missus." I grunt as I slide the worn leather watch back around.

"Well, aren't you ever the doting husband?" He teases and taps my arm playfully as he swoops down and guzzles his water from the plastic bottle with the guard's logo.

I roll my eyes, "It's just easier. I'm already down here." I start to pack up my bag and zip it up. When all of my things are in there I sling it over my shoulder and keep my empty water bottle in hand.

"I know, I know. I'm just kidding with you." The same puppy-like smile appears on his face. His bright eyes give my tired ones hope that I might just get a restful night of sleep soon. "Will we meet tomorrow?"

I shake my head and send the strands sticking out from my tight man bun to fly to each side."The house is done today so tomorrow I'll be waking up there. Why don't we go for a run instead?"

"You can't keep up with my pace, but you can try." Scout winks and I wave and leave the training room chucking to myself.

Today Dela's breakfast schedule is toast with a citrus jam. I don't question it as she has been feeling more nauseous lately than usual, I didn't know whether it was due to Celeste's pregnancy or not, but neither did Edna as this subject is an abstruse one. Ms. Bogart has been just about as helpful as you would expect any old lady losing her marbles to be, but I'm still grateful for the gift of her talents that performed the swap.