Chapter 46: Photographs

Dela

The first twenty-four hours were scary. Every cramp I feared I was going to lose the baby, but the long twenty-four hours came and they went. The baby stayed and I tried not to celebrate too much. Edna said I would need rest for a week and so when a week was up I felt better, my skin adjusting to the sudden protrusion. It's been two weeks that I've been carrying my new little one. Celeste was three months along, therefore I am three months along. Six months to go.

I meet up with Draven who looks incredibly happy. I wrap my arms around him and lean up to kiss him. "Are you ready?" I give him a soft smile before we turn and enter the throne room where my parents are.

I am wearing a flowing black dress to hide my stomach. I squeeze Draven's hand by my side and take a deep breath. The last thing I want to do is disappoint my parents but the one thing I want most in this realm is this baby. I fight the urge to grab my stomach. "Mom, Dad," I smile. "We have something to tell you."

"Did Draven kill the archer?" My mother raises her eyebrow and looks at my father.

"Why are you two holding hands?" My father asks suspiciously. "Don't take this the wrong way, but you both seem...happy?"

Draven lets out an easy laugh beside me. "I am an extremely happy man, King Raidyn. I did not kill the archer, Queen Byrd. Dela and I have good news to share."

I squeeze his hand before taking another deep breath, "I'm pregnant."

Queen Byrd looks speechless. "Good news? You call this good news?"

"Adelaide, Draven." My father sighs and frustratedly runs a hand through his hair. "I don't know how you children do things these days, but there is still a little thing called marriage. The Queen and I would prefer you two marry before bringing a child into this world."

"Then we will get married," I look up at Draven. "I don't need a big ceremony."

"Of course, King Raidyn. We have decided to marry. Queen Byrd, this is some of the best news you can come by." Draven surprisingly doesn't let my parents ruin his positive mood.

"I'm three months along," I say to my father. "I'm already showing and I think it's best if we marry very soon." The last thing I want is for the baby to be called a bastard.

"I grew up with the stigma of being a bastard and I don't wish this upon my child or rather children." Draven winks at me.

I look up at Draven with a sad but grateful smile. "If we could, I would like to marry him by the end of the week."

My father is in complete shock and unable to utter a word.

"Raidyn," my mother grabs his hand. She looks over at Draven and narrows her eyes. "You've always been a terrible influence on my daughter. If you didn't want your child to be a bastard then you shouldn't have slept with my daughter."

"This baby is a miracle." Draven lifts his chin up proudly.

I ignore my mother's hateful words as I approach my father. I grab his hand and smile. "I'm sorry I had to stop being your little girl at some point. I'm happy with Draven and I'm ready to start my family."

"This doesn't make sense." My father speaks low to me under his breath.

I frown. "What doesn't?" I say warily.

"Three months ago you were nearly dead." He shakes his head. "You were dwindling down to nothing."

I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out. "I-I," I stammer. "I don't know. It just happened."