Chapter 2: Overprotective

Seraphina

My lack of freedom started when I was born. My dad's insane jealousy and need to protect me has prevented me from doing and experiencing a lot of things. It didn't help that I have an older half brother and two younger brothers both of whom act like older brothers. My whole life I have had four protective boys looking after me. I'm now twenty and I haven't felt like I've truly lived, not like how Dela or Aurelie or even Katsa do. Katsa is my sort of sister, she is the only thing that keeps me sane when I'm in my kingdom. She came to live with us when she was around eight, her parents were killed and the North taken over by the new Steele rule. My dad took in Katsa and Kaden, they're family. Dela, my best friend, hates Katsa, I think I could go as far as to say she's jealous of my friendship with her.

The only times I feel I can actually live, is when I'm in the Dark Kingdom. My father is usually always distracted by Raidyn. I developed my mom's powers and my father's, but I am more in tune with my mother's powers. I have the strong ability to sense people's feelings. It's overwhelming at times. I constantly feel my dad's overbearing love for me and his seething anger whenever I'm near Prince Riesner. Being in the Dark Kingdom I get a break from the negative feelings. Here, the only feelings I get from Ries is unconditional and undeniable love. What I sense from him makes me feel like I'm floating and it gives me butterflies in my stomach.

What Ries did, bringing me to his Shadow's clubhouse, was the sweetest thing any boy has ever done for me. Although he said he had never brought a girl to the clubhouse, I wondered what kind of spectacles he does for other girls. My brother's have told me that Ries has been with other girl's. I know we aren't exclusive, per se, and I know that it is not right for me to expect him to wait for me when I'm finally ready to see someone, but it broke my heart to hear. I guess I'm naive to think that he would've waited for me completely, but still, I can't blame him. It was a sweet gesture to give me freedom and to do all this work by placing pillows and blankets everywhere. The massage was even nicer.

My heart nearly stopped when I woke up and saw it was morning. My father always checks on me through the night and no doubt there is a search party after me. I shake Ries. "We have to go! We fell asleep! My dad, he'll be looking for me. Crap, I'm in such big trouble."

"Shit, we fell asleep!" He jumps up and dusts himself off. "I promise I didn't intend to do this. We gotta go sneak you back now."

Ries takes my hand and we sprint back to the castle where we see guards searching the grounds and my father and Raidyn standing in front of the castle. They spot us and I know there is no way we can sneak back through the balcony. I feel shameful as we approach our angry father's.

"Dad," I plead. "I'm so sorry. I lost track of time."

"Dad, I know there is no excuse for this, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to keep her out so late I was just mesmerized, I-" Ries starts to explain to his father.

"You didn't mean to?" My father's hands turn to fire. "What else didn't you mean to do to my daughter last night?"

"We didn't do anything. We only talk, sir." Ries stands his ground, but I could feel his nervousness.

"Is that what they're calling it these days?" My father roars. "You are to stay away from my daughter for the rest of this trip."

"With all due respect, I cannot do that. All we did is talk and I understand the concern for your daughter and heir, but we are back now. Nothing happened." Ries shakes his head and I feel his nervousness get replaced with anger.

My father is still blazing, I can feel the heat radiating off him. "I don't need a punk like you sullying the reputation of my daughter and the next queen of the eastern kingdom. Even if you didn't do anything, which I find unlikely knowing you and the reputation you've established Riesner, rumors can hurt a girl like Seraphina."